Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 11-12-2006, 03:41 PM

Default Firehole memories

The picture Byron has on the banner today (which I'm pretty sure is the Firehole but could be a couple other streams in Yellowstone) got me to thinking back to my Yellowstone trip a couple of summers ago and also thinking about trying to go again this next summer. I was able to cast to rising fish all day and the evening caddis hatches were spectacular. I had shots at some very nice fish but managed to break off all the really good ones. There is something about that river though that keeps me wanting to go back. Mention a river that has buffalo walking the banks, geothermal features pouring in nutrients, and large fish rising to PMDs, BWOs and caddis all day in spring creek type water and I immediately start dreaming of my days on the Firehole. I'm sure others have fished it. Does anyone have any cool stories to share? I can't go in person right now but I can experience it through a good story. Any Yellowstone stories would be nice for that matter...

"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 11-12-2006, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Firehole memories

Plateau,

That is the Firehole. The photo was submitted by Gary Troutman and you can find it also in the scenic section of the picture board. I fished the firehole some but I always liked the confluence of the Gibbon and the Firehole at Madison Junction. Spent a week in that campground once in Late October/Early November. It got down to 5 degrees every night. What a wonderful place. I just found your website. It's great. I'll look at it some more tomorrow.

Byron
Old 11-12-2006, 07:00 PM

Byron, I stayed at the Madison campground also. I was there in June so it was central to most of the waters I could fish at that time of year. I've always heard about the great fishing for fall run fish out of Hebgen lake that go up the Madison and into the lower Firehole and Gibbon rivers. Did you get into any of those big fish when you were there in late fall? It seems I remember a picture in your shop of you with a big fish. I think I remember lots of snow and it was in Yellowstone maybe...?
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Old 11-12-2006, 07:24 PM

I took my first trip out west a couple of years ago. We actually stayed in Island Park, ID.

My first fishing outing was to the Ranch section of Henry's Fork, the first late afternoon after we arrived from a very long unexpected bus trip. Needless to say I was shut out. The next day was my first visit into Yellowstone. After visiting a few spots of that wonderful slice of heaven, we decided to stop for a picnic along the Firehole. I slipped away while they ate and fished just below Nez Perce Creek. I fished a small slot and eventually managed to catch a 10" rainbow. My first western trout. It broke the ice and was a great way to start my trip.

By the way... I did end up catching trout on the Ranch and managed a few BIG fish below Box Canyon.

As an aside ... on July 4, I saw my first grizzly bear, caught my first cutthroat on the Lamar, and got caught in a 3 hour buffalo jam. It could be one of the best days of my life so far!

I'm planning on going back next fall.

Later all,
Dude
Old 11-12-2006, 08:14 PM

Dude, I drove right past the Henry's Fork while I was out there but didn't fish it. What is the fishing like below the Box Canyon? Any advice on fishing the Ranch section would be appreciated also.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:04 PM

The Firehole may be one of the neatest rivers to fish in the park, at least to me. I took my wife out before we got married, I believe the first week of October,2000. A lot of the park had gotten a pretty good snow that kept us in Gardiner for an extra night. We spent a whole day on different stretches of the Firehole. Fountain Flats, I think is the name of one spot we fished. Windy snow squalls would blow across that area and ran my wife back to the car, but I could see rising fish, mostly small, but it was enough to keep me out there fishing. Buffalo were everywhere and at one location, the elk were active just over a little rise from the river and to hear them bugle while we fished was neat experience. One thing about being in the park that time of year, and especially after a snow, is that you realize just how many hotspots there really are. Snow would not accumulate or stick to the ground in places and you could see the yellowish tint to the areas. My wife has a big phobia about bears and although we never saw any this time, we were walking along the Yellowstone in the Buffalo Ford area. On a high bank across the river I spotted two coyotes running at about half throttle and I told her to look. About the time she spotted them, I let out my best coyote howl and of all things, they stopped in their tracks to stare back at us. I got a big kick out of it, and almost got one big kick from her. She got nervous and wanted to know what in the world I was thinking. Of course, they turned and continued on, doing what coyotes do. I've never had a real big day fishing in the park, but then there is so much there to see that its almost irrelevant.
If anyone has any suggestions on the better stretches to fish on the Firehole, I would love to hear them.

mstone
Old 11-12-2006, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I've never had a real big day fishing in the park, but then there is so much there to see that its almost irrelevant.
If anyone has any suggestions on the better stretches to fish on the Firehole, I would love to hear them.
mstone, I found the best fishing (for me) upstream from Midway Geyser basin (the first mile or two above). I kept going back just above Midway for the evening Caddis hatches. The river would just be boiling with rises and you would swallow bugs if you didn't keep your mouth shut.

If you've never had an epic day in Yellowstone, try one of the backcountry lakes. I had a great afternoon catching grayling on one of them and as far as numbers go, it is still a personal best.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:56 PM

The Firehole is probably the most scenic river I have ever visited. My wife and 2 kids went out to Yellowstone for vacation this past August. I took this picture while sight seeing one day. It is awe inspiring to see what nature can do! The river was to warm to fish while we were there.(2nd week of August) I saw a few small fish rising at times but most of our fishing time was on the Madison outside of the park and on the lower Lamar and Slough creek. I fished the Gibbon and the Madison in late October of 2003 and loved hiking thru the snow to uncrowded rivers full of pre-spawn browns from the Lake. Great Memories 8-)
Old 11-12-2006, 11:15 PM

All this talk of fishing in the west...

I haven't made any formal plans yet, but I'm going to be spending a few weeks out there next summer. A visit to see my sister in Colorado a few months ago is actually what inspired me to pick-up the sport.

I really enjoy hearing about your experiences out there. Keep them coming...
Old 11-12-2006, 11:57 PM

Man, I wish I had family that lived in Colorado. If I was you, I would be heading out there for the whole summer probably, lots of good water in CO. If you head west to fish, go to Yellowstone if at all possible. There is some amazing fishing to be had...