Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-28-2006, 09:11 PM

Default Re: bear status

Quote:
, on one saturday in october, 16 tourons were arrested for harrassment of bears (YEAH).
sam
ABOUT TIME, the wildlife makes fishing in the park very enjoyable experience for me. I love the "WILD" bears. I've seen so much disregard for Park rules that past few years. Dogs running loose on the trails, where they are not permitted. Food, garbage left out on campsites, Bicycles on tails, etc. *The Gov't has turned too much over to Volunteers (No disrespect, I've been one myself). More paid professional rangers should employed. *The Smokies are not the only place. I've seen dogs and people running through roped off endangered shorebird nesting sites on the Outer Banks, had dogs growl at me (I am a dog lover!!) as I climbed mountains in Acadia NP in Maine. Total disregard for Signed areas. Wildlife in the park has a hard enough time staying "wild" even the rules are followed.

By the way, I still carry my bear spray
Randy Sale
Old 11-29-2006, 09:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT

Quote:
... on one saturday in october, 16 tourons were arrested for harrassment of bears (YEAH).
sam
WOO-HOO! Save the bears!...and the manatee! Im glad to see theyre doing something besides shooting the bears now. I actually am more afraid of people than of the bears....hmmm? Think about it...
Just a question what other "DANGEROUS" creatures are in the park? Any Mtn Lions? Rabid Wolves? Bigfoot? Hostile locals?

MTN_TRT
LIFE IS GOOD

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 11-29-2006, 11:09 AM

my friend Dwayne came in yesterday--was still suffering from bear-anoia--told him Ihad some bad news for him--had talked to a park ranger--here is the bad news
1)actually bears are attracted to Winnebagoes,and the sound of an ice maker filling a high ball glass.here's what usually happens----
a)bear approaches Winney
b)bear tears door off of hindges
c)enters winney--grabs wife--drags her off to have way with her
d)returns wife-the bear is not that lonely yet
e)tears door off refrigerator
f)finds a couple cases of beer--some mustard and something that is very old bologna or very new cheese.
g)goes on to TV room
h)sees surround sound stereo--thinks about listening to a few tunes--becomes enraged because he does not like barry manilow or slim whitman--sees the 32 inch plasma tv--crashes it because it's channel locked on QVC--its boyd bear day
i)wife enters tv room from bedroom wearing flimsey,see through,fredricks of hollywood, nighty
k)bear flees winnebago campground,vowing never to return---
Old 11-30-2006, 06:02 PM

Sounds like it about time for LRO to start stocking bear repellent.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
, on one saturday in october, 16 tourons were arrested for harrassment of bears (YEAH).
sam
ABOUT TIME, the wildlife makes fishing in the park very enjoyable experience for me. I love the "WILD" bears. I've seen so much disregard for Park rules that past few years. Dogs running loose on the trails, where they are not permitted. Food, garbage left out on campsites, Bicycles on tails, etc. *The Gov't has turned too much over to Volunteers (No disrespect, I've been one myself). More paid professional rangers should employed. *The Smokies are not the only place. I've seen dogs and people running through roped off endangered shorebird nesting sites on the Outer Banks, had dogs growl at me (I am a dog lover!!) as I climbed mountains in Acadia NP in Maine. Total disregard for Signed areas. Wildlife in the park has a hard enough time staying "wild" even the rules are followed.

By the way, I still carry my bear spray
Randy Sale
Check out the most recent edition of The Mens Journal. There is an interesting article about National Park funding woes, the alleged causes, etc. I too am discouraged. I'm not a tree hugger, but arent the National Parks about preservation? Have fly fished in a "National Scenic Riverway" recently and witnessed illegal harvesting, vehicles driving through the stream, etc. Called the NPS about it and they said they simply dont have funding for rangers to patrol it adequately.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:01 PM

moflyer3,

I am a forester and fisherman, so conducting timber harvests in a responsible manner is important to me. When you said that there was "illegal harvesting", what were you refering to? A lot of times, people do not understand the forestry practices being utilized, and refer to any timber operation/harvesting/logging as irresponsible (people like the aesthetics of older trees). You are right in that the National Parks were set aside for preservation (i.e. no timber harvesting), while Natioanl Forests were established for a continuing supply of a renewable resource (timber).
Old 12-01-2006, 07:37 PM

I think the reference to illegal harvesting concerned taking fish in "a delayed harvest" stream.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:05 PM

About 4 years ago I volunteered some at the Appalachian Bear Center in townsend and at that time they were kept pretty busy (and still are) raising orphaned cubs and releasing them in the areas where they were found. I got to go along on a release in the Cherokee National Forrest and the only thing the cubs wanted to do was get the heck away from humans ASAP! This is generally always the case except when there is easy food (garbage), human encroachment on territory, increased bear population, and/or low amounts of mast - natural food sources that the bears put on weight with in the Fall and early Winter, usually white oak acorns.

As I understand it all of these factors have been in place for 3 or 4 of the last 5 years so bear encounters are surely on the incline and will probably continue to rise. Having had exposure to only the youngest of cubs I am truely amazed at how much strength even the little ones have, I can't even begin to imagine what a motivated adult would be capable of. Please everyone, be safe, be alert, know about bear behavior and the warning signs. Oh yeah, I gotta get me some pepper spray too.

Merry Christmas,
Tony
Old 12-05-2006, 01:35 AM

twnurse2k comments are very accurate. We have underestimated the speed, strength, and passive nature of the Black Bear. We usually hear and worry about Grizzlies, but if a Black Bear attacks its usually to kill and eat.
The bears make the Smokies a very special place. If everyone enjoyed them from a distance, followed bear protocol in the back country a lot of the bear problems would not occur.

I carry "CounterAssault" spray- recommended by Forest Service folks in Yellowstone area. NFS personnel are required to carry it in the Gallitin and Shoshone Forests. If you order it, CounterAssault.com, read the directions and follow them. ( There is lot of "MISLEADING INFORMATION" on various forums concerning it uses and effectiveness.)It is NOT a repellent to be sprayed around camp, on clothes etc. It is designed to be sprayed INTO THE FACE of a bear AFTER you tried everything else. In documented attacks, 15 of 16 attacking Grizzlies did "180's" when sprayed with this stuff, the 16th knocked human down, then turned and ran her own cub over to get away form it. The NPS in the park folks don't reccomend it but HAVE NOT OUTLAWED it in the park. Treat it like you are carrying a loaded gun.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:47 PM

sounds pretty effective, why do the rangers not recommend it?