Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-16-2006, 12:00 AM

Default Broke foot again!

Some of you old timers may remember just after the board started up I broke my foot in March and had to cancel a family trip to GSM. Well as luck would have it I broke the same foot (even same bone) last tuesday. Seems strange that in Sept. I hiked about miles up Little river above Elkmont, one month later i am walking down the hall in my house and snap a bone in my foot. Kind makes me want quit solo fishing in the back country, you never know what might happen. I was thinking about bringing Gaintfish up for a weekend trip this winter. Now it looks like it will be a limited acess trip around mid to late February. Is it worth the trip up or should I postpone untill April. Taking the family to the land of mouse ears in March. So March is out. I am assuming that that early it would be best stay down low and fish the Little River. Last time your suggestions helped. Again I am looking for easy acess. Metcalf Bottoms picnic area stands out to me, but is it open in february? Some of the quite walk can get a little steep toward the river. I also need big water so Gaintfish doesn't to fustrated hanging up in those wonderfull fly eating trees.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:10 AM

Default Re: Broke foot again!

Unless you are really flexible with your dates and can go at the last minute, I wouldn't plan a Smokies trip in February. If it has been cold, the bite will be off. Not that fish can't be had but it takes work. That time of the year, I would fish a tailwater if I was planning a trip ahead of time. The Hiwassee tends to fish well in late winter and spring and some of the good browns can be had at that time of year with a little luck. Of course, April should be AWESOME in the park with all the spring hatches....
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 11-16-2006, 01:11 AM

For me it's the fishing not the Catching. I love a challenge. I guess thats why I am so intrested in the Smokeys. But at this point in time for my son its important to give a chance to catch fish. It looks like mtff has an outing to South Holston/Watauga Rivers in Febuary that may be a better bet anyway.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Vern

I am so sorry to hear of your reinjury! Hope your foot heals well and quickly.

As for February fishing in the Park, it depends on the weather and the kind of winter we have this year. *If we have a mild winter, weather wise, we can start getting early spring mayfly hatches in late February on warm sunny days. * I wouldn't write off a February trip to the Smokies just yet. *

Paula
Old 11-16-2006, 11:30 AM

I like the mtff idea but I hope your foot is better and the water does well because I want to fish longer! Mabye the water will be easy accses unlike the GSMNP.

Giantfish