Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-09-2006, 08:08 PM

Default technical

Old buddy,,S. Porter,dropped by yesterday---he is about 80--began f-fishing as a child--well educated--taught physics at UNC-a great small stream fisherman--uses only cane rods--has more roll casts than a bi-sexual has friends--has caught many trout in his time--knows East Tenn,NC,Penn,New York state and vermont streams like the back of his hand--growing up,Porter was your classic geek--a physics,math head--too intellectual,too stuck-up for kids his age.his talk is sophisticated,proper,almost Calvinist and fun to listen to in this the age of slang,adulterated language.
Like I said Porter dropped by my store--parked himself in my office with some coffee and last year's xmas cookies---told me about this years good fall fishing had around his favorite Tellico places--finished his coffee--took me to his car to"show me something"---his car--a 1968 Porsche 912--is in such god-awful shape,his grandkids are ashamed to ride in it--inside--the floors are rusted through-it is piled high with stuff(cans(soda,beer,pork and beans,etc)magazines,mail,most unopened,clothes,more clothes,boots,f-fishing stuff,a bird cage(thats right a bird cage)(Tweety ??a suicide??)---outside dents and rust,cracked windsheild---4th engine--what a classic---reaches to a place that could be the back seat--pulls a little blond cane rod not 5 ft long---hands it to me---has a slowwww action---I said"THIS THING'S OKAY PORTER--BUT IT IS SLOW AND TOO SHORT--WHAT GOOD IS IT?Porter looked at me with a dark--death look--a look that could kill--and replied--"IT IS FOR ONLY THE MOST TECHNICAL PRESENTATIONS"---am i wrong---but you've got to like this guy!!!!!
Old 11-09-2006, 08:10 PM

Default Re: technical

ps--porter lives in NC---has family here in Ky--visits 3-4 times a year
Old 11-09-2006, 09:36 PM

Great post! Porter sounds like a classic...and I agree, you definately can't help but like the guy.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 11-16-2006, 05:04 PM

He sounds like a true gem! I was introduced to fly tying and fishing small mountain streams by a guy that sounds very similar. He stood maybe 5' and no more than 150# soaking wet but had a deep, gruff voice. He grew up in rural Arkansas during the depression, became a hobo and traveled most of the Mountain West via boxcar, flew P-38s out of the jungles of New Guinea during WWII, then got an English degree and taught high school English for 30 years. He drove a 1969 Ford Bronco that still had the original shocks and muffler, hammer marks inside the roof from beating it back out after rolling it once, and no power steering or brakes. He wrote articles for local and state hunting/fishing magazines, helped start our TU chapter, and tied flies commercially for a while. Never saw the need for anything more than a Pflueger Medalist reel and rarely wore waders. Characters like him are what made our sport so rich for all these years.
I miss him alot now.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:18 PM

dawgvet--these guys are a lost tribe--you like them so much--you don't want to end up like them--or--maybe you would like to end up like them--they have a pretty cool vehicle--they have done well in their life--their children and grandchildren love them--they will miss him he is gone(you cannott ask for more than that)---and he fishes--he comes to see you --to show you a new rod--another cane rod--he has many--he likes the streams--he is not afraid of death--he dreads it--because he won't be able to like the streams anymore---