Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-16-2006, 10:48 PM

Default Best Fly 2006

I am starting to notice that different years I have more success on certain flies than others. For awhile, I almost fished very small GRHEs exclusively in the park and did very well. This year, one fly stood out for me in that it produced fish the whole season. In fact, I probably fished it 50-75% of the time this year. I had 40+ fish days and some very nice browns caught on it. The fly, a beadhead (or not) Tellico. I've fished it plenty before this year but this was the first year I have consistently done very well on it all season. Days that I wasn't doing very well would be turned around by tying this fly on.

So, what flies were hot for everyone else this year?
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 11-16-2006, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Best Fly 2006

Bead head phesants tail fished on a dropper behind a stimulator. Dry fly was a tan or yellow Caddis fly. last time I Fished was in sept. had one day they were destroying a green weenie. The next day couldn't get them to eat the green weenie, but caught several on phesants tail.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:36 PM

I didn't have a "go to" fly, but I usually did well with a BHPT. Keep in mind that I've only been FF for a few months.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:40 PM

There were two...

My #1 = The Green Weenie!!!! Caught a 12" Rainbow, a 10" Brown and countless days of 25+ fish with this little jewel.

My #2 = #14 Yellow Stimulator. I love fishing nymphs. The size of the fish and consistency of the strikes are much better below the surface (In my humble opinion). But there's nothing quite like seeing the splash, or gentle sip of a fly being taken on top. This dry produced virtually anytime I used it.

FYI... I only fish in the park. No stockers, or tailwaters for me yet, but I think Mr. Hugh Hartsell will have me on some tailwaters in 2007!

I know I've thanked Hans on here before, but his time, patience and friendship helped me have a great year. Thanks again Hans, I can't wait till the spring!

Kevin
Old 11-17-2006, 08:13 AM

My best flies this year were #16 black ant for Brookies, a #16 orange sulphur parachute or emerger and a yellow stimulator. The Brookies would leave those ants in shreds. It is weird how a fly that is hot for me one year isn't so hot the next. Anyone else have this experience?
Old 11-17-2006, 05:16 PM

Well, Kevin you are going to quit being so nice I might have to become more grumpy when we are out. Can't wait myself to spring. I have some big plans for the spring with some serious hiking but we are going to fish in solitude( and there's all three species of trout, well two of em' and one char) in that wathershed. We are going to see more bears and less people, be ready come first of March next year.

Old 11-17-2006, 06:02 PM

Yellow stimulators, worked well for me in the park as well as red and green cooper johns, and green hares ears also. Tryed the greenie weenies everyone was talking about and got skunked and got dunked. Dead drift may not be the way to fish them. Heres a loaded question, if you could fish only one dry and one nymph in the park, what would it be, spring, summer, fall, winter, what would you chose. My brother says "fly selection dosent matter, give me a Adams and a PT nymph and I can catch trout anywhere. Its in the presenatation, fish are colored blind anyway". I remind him of that line of BS every time he asks me to barrow a BWO or other very effective pattern .
Old 11-17-2006, 06:14 PM

Interesting replies so far guys, keep 'em coming.

Woody, I keep hearing about red copper johns, both around here and out west this summer. I just might have to take it as a sign and tie one on next time I go fishing... 8-)
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 11-17-2006, 07:30 PM

I have grown to greatly appreciate the power of two flies
1. 16 - 18 red copper john
2. 16 mr. rapidan (especially early in the season)
Old 11-18-2006, 11:28 AM

I have had the same go to fly for the past two seasons. #12 thru #18 Hares Ear Parachute has produced when all else fails for the mountain fish. I still try other patterns depending on the time of year, but usually end up coming back to this one.