Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-18-2006, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Best Fly 2006

Trouttater, that is a fly that you don't hear about as often but those that use it generally swear by it. Interesting pick, I might have to tie a few up...Also, welcome to the board!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 11-19-2006, 01:28 PM

I've never used a hares ear parachute in the smokies (or the southeast) for that matter. However, it was THE saving pattern for me a couple of years ago on some heavily pressured waters out west. A hares ear parachute size 12 was the ticket.

dude
Old 11-19-2006, 03:34 PM

Pheasant Tail soft hackle: Tiemco 3761 sz. 14 with Tan 6/0 danville thread tied in and wrapped to just before the bend. Tie in small copper wire then some Natural Pheasant tail about 6-8 fibers, spiral the fibers foward with wraps butted up against each other (not overlapped), forming a slender body. Reverse wrap the *small copper wire rib foward and tie down forming a small mound to butt the collar up against (this will cause the collar to flare slightly which is good). Tye in a brown Partridge feather by the tip, fold the hackle rearward, make one complete turn and tie down with a few firm wraps.Snip off excess feather and stem, then form a nice little bulbous head with the tan tying thread, whip finnish, and apply Salley Hansens Hard as Nails.

Fish High Stick upstream and let drift downstream (if no hits). Strip, lift, twitch on the swing.
This has been the most consistent fish getter for me this year in the Smokies, both high and low. I hope ya'll won't think me pretensious for posting tying instructions, but I though some here that are new to tying might appreciate this because the fly is easy to tie, materials cheap and the darn thing just plain works!

AA
2Timothy2:15
Old 11-19-2006, 04:22 PM

Caught several rainbows and a couple of brookies on roaring fork using thunderheads and #16 royal wolfs,a good day--but i usually fish nymphs--copperjohns and pheasant tails--drop em' with a stimulator on top--use an indicator --usually kick up some live nymphs from under rocks etc--just to see whats there---then mix and match---when i get up enough ambition to "test the waters" i usually do ok.yesterday,we had an early thanksgiving--was stalked by a kid wanting to learn fly fishing---that is-- fly fishing in the smokies---he finally asked if spinners and little spoons catch fish-I said yes--but--it is like kissing your sister--there is not much of a charge in it--he said ohhhhh--wanted to know where LRO is located---
Old 11-19-2006, 09:02 PM

AA -- the PT soft hackle is hard to beat. Works well on tailwaters, too!
Old 11-20-2006, 03:08 PM

AA, the PT softhackle sounds like a great fly. Very easy and cheap to tie. I remember you mentioned that fly to me but I still haven't tied any up. I'm gonna just have to tie up a few and try 'em out... 8-)

Lauxier, that is another good story! I think it is great that you were nice enough to talk to the kid. I remember I was inspired to start fly fishing just by seeing guys fly fishing in Little River when I was a little kid. You might be the inspiration for that kid to take up this great sport!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Old 11-20-2006, 05:10 PM

I was inventoring my Trout flyboxes awhile back to see what I needed to tie over the winter. My "Best " fly overall this year has been a #14 Para Adams.
I usually start out with it in the Smokies and I have had to tie them alot this year and have bought several also. Best nymph is usually a #6 rubber leg Tellico or *#14 Prince but I have gone through alot of #16 gold flashback grey hairs-ears. I haven't fished streamers very much in the park this year but a #6 white & dun bugger*has worked well for smallmouth on the tailwaters.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:15 PM

Little yellow dries,
They worked best for me.
But to my dismay,
They're very hard to see.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:47 PM

Quote:
...Best nymph is usually a #6 rubber leg Tellico...
Man, you must catch some good fish on flies that big. What kind of water do you have the most success in with flies that size? I saw fairly good numbers of the large yellow stoneflies this year but never bothered trying to match them.

Old 11-20-2006, 07:57 PM

PA, I was encouraged to try a large tellico pattern several years ago by Tim Doyle. He is a local guide and along with Jack Gregory and Jim Parks they have probably caught more Big Browns inside the park than anybody around. Jim taught me to High Stick nymphs in fast water and it really increased my catching success. Tim and Jack usually tie at LRO during the winter months and I would encourage you to attend on the free tying demos on Saturdays. Tellicos have always worked well in the mtns and adding the rubber legs makes them even better. You would be amazed at the sizes of stoneflies that show up during the electro-fishing surveys that the park biologist do during the summer. I have seen them up to 4". I tie them on a #6 and #8 streamer hooks with brown rubber legs. If your a high sticker, you should try one next year!