Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-23-2006, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Knots

Palomar is a great knot, but sending the line not once, but twice through a small hook is nearly impossible. I like it for sizes 10 and larger, but on 16 and higher, I'm not sure it is even possible. Once you get to those sizes, I am lucky to get the line through the eye once.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:03 AM

I use a basic clinch not for tippet to fly, mainly because that's the knot my dad taught me back when I first was catching crappie on a snoopy rod. my dad and I also used to walk up to a creek, cut down a cane and use it to catch bluegill.... good times. but the simple clinch knot has held strong and almost never fails me. I did see bob clouser tie an awesome knot that I can't remember the name of. this is going to be hard to explain, but basically after the knot was tightened down, it left a loop in the end. picture an open noose, but the noose cant slide down and tighten. the fly hangs on this loop and has freedom to move around the loop. like a key hanging on a key ring. on the water, this allows the fly to bounce and move around independently of the line. he said he always used this knot for larger flies like a stimulator. not suprisingly, he also uses this for his "clouser minnow". it allows the minnow to move more freely and lifelike. maybe everyone knows about this, but it really blew my mind when I saw it. does anyone know the name of this, as I'd like to learn to tie it.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:01 PM

YaBB Newbiies...

That loop knot by Bob Clouser is called a "non-slip loop knot." *It is considered by most fishing "experts" to be the strongest tippet to fly knot. *When I say experts, for one... think of Lefty Kreh, et al (good friend of Bob Clouser). *Some years ago, Lefty co-authored a book on knots that included the non-slip loop knot. *I've been using it for years and have had no break-off problems. *It also allows the fly to swing, and/or jig around better than on an "improved clinch knot."

If you go to Google search engine and type in, "fishing knots 101," you should get a hit on "Knots 101" by Lefty Kreh. *Download for instructions on how to tie this excellent knot.

Be forwarned... while this is a great tippet to fly knot, it can be frustrating to tie with fine tippet material from 5X to 7X. *With heavier tippets, it's much easier. *Like all knots, it requires practice and you should practice it at home. *

Someone mentioned Lefty saying tighten up the knots fully so they do not slip. *That's great advice. *Sometimes, however, a "device" is needed to assist with this. *I mostly use hemostats for this. *Clamp the stats on the hookbend to hold the fly, wet the knot section, then steadily pull until the knot is snugged up securely. *

Also, use the hemostats to hold your smallest flies, size-16 and smaller for easier control during the knot tying process.

One word of advice about wetting the knot. *Most fishermen use saliva to wet their knots. *I did it for years, but no more flies in my mouth. *After tying the knot, but before tightening, I stick the fly and knot in the water with the hemostats, then snug up the knot. *WHY DO THIS?? *

If the waters you are fishing have beavers or geese, you run the risk of an intestinal parasitic infection. *Beavers carry Giardia and geese carry Cryptosporidium. *Both micro-organisms form oocysts that cannot be seen, are nearly impervious to being destroyed by the digestive system, but will cause a severe intestinal parasitic infection (amoebic dysentary) that will put you in the hospital for a period of days, perhaps longer. *There's plenty of water in the river to wet the knot... don't make yourself get sick.

For the leader to flyline, I use a "whipped loop" knot. *Again, this is a Lefty Kreh design and I trust it far more than a nail knot. *It also stays flexible and can be wound through the tip-top and other guides when landing a fish on a long leader. *This loop will transition back and forth, if needed through the guides with little chance of hanging up.

For the leader to tippet, from size 3X down, I use the Orvis knot. *The Orvis knot is basically a figure-8 knot followed by a double Surgeon's Knot. *It's considered to be stronger than the Surgeons knot and is great for joining together two lines of dissimilar sizes. *I often attach 6X tippet to 4X tippet when fishing midges or small caddisflies using the Orvis knot.

For all knots, if they are new to you... practice them at home first and practice them often. *Sometimes in failing light, you can complete the tying of a knot when you can barely see what's happening because you've practiced enough and sorta do it by "feel." *Experience.

Tie one on... go fishing... have fun!!
Old 11-25-2006, 08:02 PM

I use a nail knot for leader to fly line. I tie about 6" of mono or fluorocarbon to my fly line then "blood knot" the leader to it. For big game I use a double nail knot. It is basically two nail knots and if one fails maybe the other will hold. I use a blood knot to build leaders or tie tippet to leader. I know it's a pain but it is a pretty knot. I also like the "non slip loop" for the fly. But, you have to keep an eye on the knot and re-tie as needed. The friction of the fly rubbing on the mono will eventually wear through the tippet. Fluorocarbon is better because it is more like "ripstop nylon". By the way, Bob Clouser visits this board. I've received 4 photos from him for the Picture Board in the last week or so.

Now you won't believe this. Paula and I were at Lefty's house a few years ago. In his basement he has a workbench and on the wall behind it are huge spools of mono with the pound test of each one clearly displayed. He works on knots down there all the time. He can pull any size mono and practice or invent knots. He's an expert on knots and everything else about fly fishing.

Byron