Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-23-2006, 07:00 PM

Default reel question

does anyone have experience yet with the Battenkill Mid Arbor reel yet, or the new G-Loomis large arbor....if so, what are your thoughts.........(looking at for a 3wt.).......

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 11-23-2006, 07:50 PM

Default Re: reel question

I bought a Battenkill Mid arbor back in early August. I needed(wanted!) a new reel for a 6wt. I was leaving for Yellowstone and went by LRO with the rod and tried several different reels on the grip. I liked the size and looks of the Orvis and I like a large drag knob with audible clicks. The Battenkill has a very smooth drag and a wide range of settings. The price was much better than any of the other reels also. The mid-arbor is probably to much of a reel for a 3wt. The BBS reel is cheaper and the drag is also pretty smooth. I have had good luck with Orvis reels and would recommend them.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:52 PM

i'll second troutman. I think the mid arbor is a solid reel, and has a great price. in fact when my best friend was buying his first outfit last year, I convinced him to buy one. I did end up speaking to an orvis rep this spring and he told me that he couldn't understand why the mid arbor was such a big seller as it was a heavy reel. I've fished my friends outfit (a 4 wt) and I think it feels great, but it may be a little much on a 3 wt depending on the rod. i do own a bbs and a cfo. if you're not dead set on a mid or large arbor, I would HIGHLY recommend the cfo. I have one on a 6'6" 2wt superfine. this reel is beautiful, feels awesome, and sounds even better. I think many would agree this is the best sounding reel on the market. if you put one on your rod, be careful, because it'll probably be going home with you. also, if you live in ohio as your screen name implies, ordering from LRO would be a great way to support this board and the people who make it exist! but most importantly, buy whatever feels best to you because you're the one who's going to be fishing it.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:38 AM

I have had both...and actually returned the Battenkill...at first, I was thrilled with the mid arbor's drag...but after a day on the South Holston swinging that brick around I returned it. Now the CFO is by far, in my opinion) the finest Orvis reel. I have one that is a 3 wt that balances my 3 wt orvis superfine 6'6" perfectly...and besides...that drag sings. The Rep was right...too heavy...and way too much for a 3 wt rod.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:12 AM

hmmmmmmm, maybe that is why they don't list the reel weight in the adds......I suspect the GLoomis may be a bit heavy also....thanks for the input guys, I appriciate it very much. I do currently own a battenkil 5wt and like it, I was just wanting to try something new for the the 3 wt rod I am going to try and build....

hope you all found many things to be thankful for yesterday....
buckeyetrouter
Old 11-24-2006, 08:40 AM

holy shnikies batman.............I just went to the orvis site to find the mid arbor weight and it was 5.5oz vs 3.75 for the cfo and arond 3.5 for the ross rythem.......

thanks for the input again guys,
buckeyetrouter
Old 11-25-2006, 11:06 PM

Weight is a BIG deal with a 3wt rod. I recently put together a 3wt outfit and purposefully sought out the lightest reels that I could find. The total outfit weighs less than 7 ounces. The little stick feels weightless in my hands, almost like a "magic wand."

When I put it together I didn't think it would weigh or feel much different than my 5 wt....but man I couldn't have been so wrong. I was talked out of a mid arbor reel in favor of a lighter reel with a standard arbor and I couldn't be happier with the decision.

Fishing for 5 hours both today and yesterday on a wild Missouri trout stream with several 12" - 15" + rainbows hooked on black flash-a-buggers feels like I hardly did anything!

I am sold on lightweight fly tackle.

David

Old 11-26-2006, 07:19 AM

thanks David......we usually think we know what we want until we get it, this board makes it nice because we don't have to make those mistakes since there folks out there who know or have made the same decision and were not happy with it......

appriciate the input
buckeyetrouter
Old 11-27-2006, 02:35 PM

third the motion on the cfo, also fish a 2wt superfine with cfo, an unbelievably light but effective combo. the cfo has had almost 10 years of use and abuse, that includes being dropped, and literally run over with my truck. it's super tough and still works like a dream. i almost always use 6x tippet, and keep the drag as tight as it will go - very smooth!
Old 11-27-2006, 09:33 PM

hey, I fished almost the whole year with that 6'6" 2wt superfine. with a little double haul action, it will cast suprisingly well. what I loved about it is that if you catch a 6" trout, it will double the rod over. I took it up to the yellow breeches in PA and was catching 12-15" rainbows and it was like fighting a tarpon. I was going to sell that rod, but maybe now I'll keep it.