Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 11-25-2006, 05:18 AM

Default Thanks For a Successful Trip

Thank y'all for the daily fishing reports. About a month ago, when I found out my kids' grandparents were going to take them off my hands for Thanksgiving, I found myself with a narrow window of opportunity to indulge in my latest obsession - trout fishing. The fishing reports, along with the extended weather forecast, made the final determination for me.

I didn't get off work until around 5 on Wednesday - I hopped in the car and left the office (Metairie, LA), and drove until I reached the Cataloochee Valley area. I tried sleeping in the car until the sun rose, but no dice. I did a lot of hiking on Thursday, but no fish; I think I goofed by trying to go up to the headwaters for the brook trout. I didn't make the same mistake Friday. I fished the Middle Prong, and I caught a few nice rainbows, which definitely made the trip worthwhile. On the way out of the park and back home, I passed by your shop...unfortunately, it was pushing 6PM and I had to get back to Louisiana, so I couldn't stop - next trip, I will.

Again, thanks for the site and the reports...they definitely made this trip successful.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:11 PM

Default Re: Thanks For a Successful Trip

ijsouth,

Thanks for reading the fishing report, joining this board and visiting our site. Cataloochee is a beautiful place and the Middle Prong is the best. Glad you had a good trip.

Byron
Old 11-25-2006, 07:36 PM

ij,

My lastest passion is redfish. I've been doing a lot of fishing in Florida but next year Paula and I plan to explore your state. If you know any guides that you can recommend please let me know. I actually lived in your state for 6 months at a place called Fort Polk back in 1970. Have also been to New Orleans a few times to eat but I've never fished there.

Byron
Old 11-25-2006, 08:11 PM

That's my next goal...a red on a fly. I've caught a bunch, but all on spinning or baitcatsting gear. They pull like a freight train. I really need to get the right gear - a rod/line combo heavy enough to turn over the larger flies, etc. They really are tailor-made for fly fishing, though - you can see them "tailing" in shallow duck ponds and can sight-cast to them.

Y'all need to come down and sample our fishing...as far as sheer numbers, etc, you can't beat Southeast Louisiana. When conditions are right, you can get limits of speckled trout and redfish in a matter of minutes...of course, the winds and tides dictate everything, since our marsh complex is so shallow; a little wind can muddy up the water in a hurry. As far as guides are concerned, I've only gone on two guided trips - both this past year, with a group from my church. His name is Captain Charlie Thomason, and he operates out of the Hopedale area in St Bernard Parish; we had great trips both times. The number is (504) 278-3474. Also, you can check out rodnreel.com - this site is geared to fishing in Louisiana, mostly saltwater, and there are a lot of posts on their forum from guides in the area. I know there are one or two that cater to fly fishing for reds, but I don't know the names right off the top of my head.

I love fishing around here...but, I'm really enjoying the coldwater fishing, too...probably because it is so different from the fishing here.