Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 12-19-2006, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Carp Fishing

hey ttas67..... I have 3 favorite teams, the buckeyes, the vols, and whoever plays the wolverines

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 12-19-2006, 09:54 PM

yeah, my grandparents live just outside of columbus, so every year for christmas I recieved a tshirt, hat, or something with the ohio state logo on it. I probably owned as much buckeye gear as ut stuff. so even though I don't really follow them, I'm always secretly rooting for them. 8-)
Old 01-07-2007, 05:14 PM

Ah ye that distain the "poor man's redfish". I have caught the 10# brown (pictures to prove) and I have caught an 8# redfish, all on flies, but for a real blast one needs to try the lowly carp.

One method of course is Calhoun's. I stumpled on a rather quick and effective fly by tying on Lefty's Indicator in white (or was that biscuit color) to a stout hook and casting out while the native childred chum them up while hanging out over the railing. Be careful not to hook said children of father that might be packing.

Number two and of course the most challenging is the "Willow fly" hatch that takes place on many lakes around Knoxville and the South. Carp will cruise the shoreline looking for shucks and duns. The "old rubber lip" beast will selectively snub a bad immation in a New York minute. So don't go without large flies that float well, and the ability to cast in front of a cruising fish without spooking it.

Thirdly, one needs only to check out this website to not feel quilty about fishing for and catching carp. If you would like to book a trip in and around July let me know. I would gladly do it for half price of what these guys go for with the same kind of boat. I guess you think this might be a joke, but my friend in Washington state that has flyfished for 25 years couldn't quit asking about carp when we meet up this past summer.

Here's the website........buy yourself a hat, feel proud, and go fish, just don't touch!

http://www.wyomingflyfishing.com/car...ng_report.aspx

Flat Fly'n
Old 01-12-2007, 03:01 PM

Shoot there's nothing to handling a carp. They're not as slimy as a trout! But........ they aint pretty!
Best,
John
Old 01-13-2007, 11:43 AM

A boga grip and a pair of pliers to remove the fly is my method!

Tight lines and screaming reels,
Flat Fly'n
Old 02-13-2007, 12:15 PM

Default Dead bodies = chum

Hey what's wrong with a dead body floating by and chumming the water. Any advantage is a good thing.
The Mulberry fly is great for under a Mulberry tree. All you need to do is plunk it loudly down - easy to fish. I agree with buckeyetrouter - check out the Mad River Outfitters site - check out the BH Lil Bugger for active fish. A lot of people were having success with Galloup's Swimming Mayfly and I have had success with small crayfish imitations.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Carp

I need to research what a Mulberry tree looks like.
Do they keep leaves in the winter?
I attached a pict. of a typical carp from the W.Prong of the L. Pigeon river in Sevierville. I haven't had much luck enticing the "big" carp to a fly. They really can be picky. Do you use any kind of cover scent to a fly like the Bass fishermen do with jigs for Bass?
I have thought about trying it on a bugger or crayfish pattern just to see if it helps.
I caught this carp on a size 8 lead dumbell eyed black bugger tied with rabbit strips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E. TN Golden Trout.jpg (40.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-13-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Carp Flies

It's funny, I just finished shooting pictures of some carp flies for the online catalog. Listen to these patterns: Mulberry Egg, Carp Tease Black, Carp Tease Olive, Passion Fruit Mulberry, Bread Crumb and Popcorn Ball. Now I'm not, by any stretch encouraging you to go out and buy these. I haven't personally tested them but you can look at them next time you are in the shop.

Byron

Last edited by Byron Begley; 02-13-2007 at 04:46 PM..
Old 02-15-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Here you go

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/senior/fruits/mulbe1.htm

The 3 photos will show you the fruit, the tree, and the leaves. There is also a White version, but not as common. I believe they fruit out in June, so the "Mulberry season" is not real long - about as long as the "Cottonwood Seed season". And yes, there is a Cottonwood fly. We are a strange group!
Old 02-15-2007, 03:59 PM

Default mulberrys and the carp who eat them

Thanks, I googled mulberry trees the other night at home and found that site also. I will have to look for them along the riverbanks the next time I get the kayak out on the local rivers.