Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 11-27-2006, 12:31 PM

Default What Vise do you use?

I am looking at vises now and trying to decide which one to get. What vise do you use and what do you like/dislike about it?

All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand.

50.67% of all statistics are made up.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:53 PM

Default Re: What Vise do you use?

I have an inexpensive (less than $50) Griffith vise I bought years ago when I started tying a few of my own flies. It is very basic and the only accessory I have bought is a weighted base so you dont have to clamp it onto a table.
Whenever I decide to replace it, I will invest in a Rotary vise and a bobbin hanger. Spend as much as you can on a quality vise and maybe talk with Walter at LRO for suggestions. * * * Troutman
Old 11-27-2006, 01:14 PM

I own two. The Dyna-King Professional and the Renzetti Presentation. I like the Renzetti for the true rotary, the traveler will perform just as well, though. I have broken a plastic (it should be metal) screw that holds the rotary function on the Presentation. I emailed them to get a replacement and never heard anything back. That's a deal breaker for me. I won't own another Renzetti.

I like the Dyna-King because it's mulit-positional and I can comfortably tie flies from 10/0 to 26. It has 4 different postition adjustments but it doesn't have true rotary. This would be my pick of the two if I had to settle for just one.

http://www99.epinions.com/content_236367679108

You certainly don't have to start with a vise such as this but if you're the type that wants something that makes things easier, it's worth a look. I started out with a Dyna-King Squire. They have some good vises. As do other companies.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:43 PM

bought a Griffith vise about 4yrs ago, not sure which model but it serves the purpose...I suppose there are better vises but this has alot of the bells and whistles.......bobbin holder, fly dryer/holder, clamp on or weighted base capability. I believe it was more around $75 when I bought it and I have been very happy with it. Now as I learn more about tying with the LRO tying classes, I may feel the need to upgrade...time will tell.......

btw......those newer "Rite" bobbins I bought at LRO are ........
FANTASTIC

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 11-27-2006, 11:10 PM

I have been using a Dyna King Squire for 5-6 years. It is simple, but does what it is supposed to do.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:00 AM

Barracuda, nothing to dislike but the initial cost, i got over that as soon as i started tying on it though.
I still have an old Model A that i started on, as simple as they come, i'll still use it for streamers, more for sentimental reasons, being the Cuda would hold the hook just as easily.
I tied on a Renzetti Traveler for around 12 years, traded it off once i got the Cuda, no problems with the Traveler.
If you get a chance, go to a shop & play with a few, checkout they're functions , sort of like buying a rod, what works for one, may not work for another

Grumpy
Old 11-28-2006, 09:32 AM

I own a "traveler" also. I've had one for 20+ years. I love it. I tie midges to small saltwater and bass bugs with it. I am very rough on it, tying where ever I am on the road. I've only had to replace an "O" ring holding it together. I actually used some round rubber legs as a "temporary" fix (lasted five years . I've been meaning to buy a "bigger- better" vise for home and leave the Traveler in my tying kit, but that hasn't happened yet .

Rfowler- contact Renzetti again, maybe Byron can give you a phone number? Most, if not all, flyfishing/ tying businesses been over backwards to satisfy customers, they need repeat customers the pool of customers is to small to produce a bad reputation.

'Tis the season to tie.
Randy Sale
Old 11-29-2006, 07:02 PM

http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/
The above link will help you in deciding which vise is right for you. Hans does a great job on all the vises and has some great insight to needs of tyers.

Ernie
Old 12-03-2006, 12:24 AM

Pedestal type, heavy base Regal rotating vise. It is indestructable, easy to mount a hook in, and I can lean...er..rest my hand on it while holding materials with my left hand. I have tied flys down to 24 on the standard jaws. This was a big step up from my Thompson model A

AA
2Timothy2:15
Old 12-09-2006, 05:26 PM

I have been tying on an HMH Spartan for a couple years and I love it. Being somewhat of a research nerd, I studied up and went out and tried a few different vises. I like the solid feel and the basic rotary function. I bought the pedestal model. It is a traditional vise made very well. I am sure I will never NEED another vise (my wife does not read the message board). I would encourage you to get out and try a few and get your hands on as many as you can before you make your decision. Good luck!