Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 12-06-2006, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Egg pattern and streamer *flies --

Speaking of using LARGE streamer flies, check out the NOV/DEC. issue of American Angler magazine. There is a good article on super-sized streamers. I have tyed and used Maribou Muddlers alot in a size #6 and #4 but does anybody tie an articulated baitfish pattern? I have seen them in flyshops out West but not anywhere locally.
RFowler, I am sure you have probably used them or know how to tie them. Does a Shad or trout pattern *work best for Browns in a Tailwater?
Old 12-06-2006, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Egg pattern and streamer  flies --

With all due respect to James, (the one that wrote that article) the article falls short on several key points. First, you need a boat, second, I don't use large streamers unless there is generation. Third, with the lines he's throwing (unless it's very slow and shallow) he's not even going to get a few inches under the surface where I usually fish. I fish bank structure some but I get more action from structure in the middle of the river)rock piles and shelves, sandy bottoms, creek mouths (and surrounding areas.) Certain areas on some rivers are better for bangin' the banks. When I'm fishng the middle of the river I'm trying to get the fly on the bottom and keep it there for as long as possible. I cast out beside the boat 90 degrees and count it down. I use lines that sink at a specific rate according to the water I'm fishing. I basically don't fish with anything less than a 350 grain during generation. After I make a cast I'll count it down to where I think it's close to the bottom. I'll use this technique over and over until I find some fish. I can lose as many as 10 flies on a streamer trip. Especially on certain sections of the South Holston. But a lot of the time I'll use 20+ pound test and it will straighten the hook. The key to finding big fish is to work as much water as possible. This means lots of casts with heavy equipment. It's very hard to do without a good oarsman. It's not for everybody but moving big 10+ pound fish is very possible. I've seen quite a few of these fish myself. I catch 4-5 pound fish pretty regular on these trips but I'm after fish much larger than this. A particular boat accounts for a lot in this kind of fishing. I'll have a different set-up when I return to it.

Troutman, I carry lots of different streamers in my box. None of them are popular outside of clousers. For anything articulating I'll use rabbit or use a Todd's Wiggle Minnow. Send me your address and I'll send you one of Todd's flies. They're like little jerk baits for flyrods. They can be hot or cold, though. As far as a shad or a trout pattern goes. I use both. Both can be very deadly. If you know of a shad kill, wait for the week after the kill is over.

This bow came on a rainbow puglisi pattern that's about 4-5" long to match the fingerlings TWRA stocks in the Clinch. Not a real big fish but it was around 25". I had my friend Jeremey (waterborn) fishing about 20ft off the bank. He was just flipping the fly, letting it sink a little and fishing it very slow. I've moved very big fish on the Clinch but haven't had any good hook-ups yet. Getting hook-ups on very large fish is extremely difficult. Like I was saying before, it is very difficult to fish this way by yourself. A good oarsman is very much needed. A boat with a motor is even better!

A friend and I get very serious about this kind of fishing. It will sharpen your skills to the point where saltwater applications are not difficult.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:42 PM

Guys, I hope that Rusty doesn't mind, but I thought that I would show you a little more of his expertise with a streamer. He's extremely good at fishing this method. This fish is somewhere in the range of 23-25in. I hope you enjoy it.
Hugh
Old 12-06-2006, 07:15 PM

Rusty,

Don't forget to tell them about leaving your Puglisi flies on the dashboard of your truck in the hot sun.

Byron
Old 12-06-2006, 08:24 PM

I don't mind, Hugh. *That 'bow was probably around 22". *We've hooked quite a few that size and over while fishing together haven't we bud. * *Someone recently had a good explanation on why fish miss streamers so much. *He said that when they are looking up into the sun that they may be having a hard time keeping track of it because of reflection (sun.) *It makes good sense because I've certainly had more misses than hook-ups. *It's heartbreaking to watch a 5+ pound fish miss the fly.

I was fishing the Clinch one day on a certain stretch and had a big rainbow (6-7lbs) come up within 15 feet of my boat and take the fly. *I set the hook but it didn't sink. *I kept on fishing the rest of the float with that fly without checking it for dullness. *When I broke the rig down at the take out I noticed my hook point was dull. *Most likely from rubbing a rock or something else during the float. *Needless to say, I don't make that mistake anymore. *Always give your hooks close attention on these big streamers. *Big fish come too few and far between to miss one on account of a dull hook. *The next time I went out there Hugh was with me. *I was on top of the same stretch of water and a fish took. *I nearly flew out of the boat I was so excited, I was like a bottle rocket with the fuse lit before he took. *It was a much smaller fish than the big guy.

Yeah, Byron. *It's a good idea to keep those puglisi flies out of the sun. * *I tied some big 11-12" P-flies last year and took them by to show the gang at LRO. *I left them on the truck dash and they shrunk down to around 8 - 9". * I use those big flies for stripers, and somtimes trout. * *I had the opportunity to fish the Hiwassee for them a few times this year but I had to row (it was very tiring due to not rowing much this year.) *I did move one big stripe that had to have gone well over 25lbs. *I ran out of room. *He came right up to the boat and I froze the fly. *He put his nose on the fly and he then saw me move my hand. *Back to the depths he went. *Biggatrout (don) was shocked. *I'd really like to have more time fishing for them on the Hiwassee. *Other, smaller flies didn't move one fish.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:57 AM

Rusty,We moved several stripers on the HI tis year with Wiggle minnows(rainbow).We went to trout fish.Trout fished the first day.Then the rest of the time put in at Towee with nothin but 8wts in the boat 8-).

Kyle
Old 12-07-2006, 03:14 PM

Kyle,
I've tried to send you 3 PM's but I got an error notice on each of them. I'll shoot you one on SEFFF.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:02 PM

Got it Rusty