Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 11-27-2006, 11:15 PM

Default Egg pattern and streamer *flies --

I am looking forward to fishing with some folks who fish with Egg Patterns and/or streamers *(wooly buggers etc) -- big water like the clinch or holston... i like the "non standard" fly selection when they are productive...

Do any of you use these patterns? *Can you share any tips?

thanks

fishmore
Old 11-27-2006, 11:46 PM

Default Re: Egg pattern and streamer  flies --

I have used egg patterns for years. The only color I tie is Peach. They are not considered real flies by some fishermen but they have caught fish when nothing else seems to work. I fish them in tandem with usually a small prince or hairs ear and in the past few years I have added them to the head of black buggers and girdle bugs. I guess it imitates a stonefly or baitfish stealing eggs from a redd.
Streamer fishing is second only to Dry Fly fishing. I like the visual aspect of a sipping trout on a Dry and also having an unexpected fish almost jerk the rod from your hand when swinging a streamer. I am sure others probably feel the same.
Gary
Old 11-28-2006, 09:04 PM

Fishing big streamers from a boat is one of my favorites. When everyone else is complaining about the water releases that is when I like to be out there. Don't be afraid to go BIG. I will throw flies up to 8/0 for trout. I am boatless at the moment but hope to be getting another soon. I'll get in touch if you'd like to get out there with me some. Nothing like getting the interest of some of the biggest fish in the river. It's not for everybody because it requires a higher skill level. Glad to meet a couple of fellars that like it!
Old 11-28-2006, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Egg pattern and streamer *flies --

Streamer freak here! Is the Clacka gone Rfowler? :-?

Kyle
Old 11-29-2006, 12:14 AM

I love em too particularly this time of year! I can work the oars too!
I use a six weight and sink most of the time with the streamers. I throw 2 and 4's alot but my biggest fish came on a size 6 Clouser variant with rabbit strip, epoxy coated tinsel body. Probably just happened to be the fly that was on at the time but I am pretty partial to that fly. Color is mostly olive.

I will throw them to the head of a pool or actually above it so that the fly has a chance to sink, then lead the fly with the rod to keep a pretty good connection for strike detection. Another tactic is to make a similar cast but allow a slight belly to make a j as the line enters the water. Always let the streamer hang for maybe 30 seconds at the bottom the strip back in short erratic strips to recast.
You can also stop the fly to turn it (light it up!)in front of likely spots, or fish (if you see one!)
Good Luck, Persistance makes luck though
John
Old 11-29-2006, 03:53 PM

Egg just above wolly bugger known as egg sucking leech out west. Actually come tied that way, but have not seen any with any bead heads, and must use sink tip or line or weight. Worked well for me on alpine lakes in the Rockies. Watson
Old 11-29-2006, 07:19 PM

Yeah, Kyle, I'm a streamer freak, but not by common definition. Some people fish them but they're not serious. You show me somebody that frequently used his/her 8 or 9wt trout fishing and THAT'S the streamer FREAK I think of. I relish variety.

Yep, sold the Clacka. Hoping to get a raft soon so I can get back at it. I'm still stuck in jawja.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Kyle, I'm a streamer freak, but not by common definition. *Some people fish them but they're not serious. *You show me somebody that frequently used his/her 8 or 9wt trout fishing and THAT'S the streamer FREAK I think of. *I relish variety.

Yep, sold the Clacka. *Hoping to get a raft soon so I can get back at it. *I'm still stuck in jawja. *
I here ya R. Come on up from Jawja.You have a FRONT seat in my raft anytime
Old 12-03-2006, 11:14 PM

I had a blast up on Paint Creek during the delayed harvest this year when I could not get the stockers to hit anything. Even the venerated Greenie Weenie wasn't interesting to them. Finially, spotting what I thought was a bottom feeder, I bounced a black woolly bugger off it's nose and the fisht was on!
In fifteen minutes I had caught two 14 inch rainbows and one ten incher. My personal biggest trout on a fly rod. Needless to say I always find a deep pool or mill dam to thow streamers into around sunset after a day of fishing. Gotta be a big brown out there with my name on it.

Merry Christmas,
Tony
Old 12-05-2006, 11:41 PM

Thank you, kindly. Mr. Greene by God, county! We do need to get together and hit it, sometime!