Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 11-04-2006, 12:03 PM

Default Reccomendations Please!

I have heard great things about two river systems. One being the Tuckaseegee and the other being Cumberland River (KY specifically the Wolfe river). Anyone fished these systems any preferances or biases out there? Which one is easier to access or to get to from Maryville? Who's a good guide or someone to hook up with? Finally is the another river out there that needs a new face to fish it. We have plans to visit the Soho shortly! Are there any delayed harvest sections for these tailwaters?

Thanks in advance!
Fishermansfly
Old 11-04-2006, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Reccomendations Please!

I've never fished the Cumberland but I've heard good things about it. It's better to have a boat there. The Tuckaseegee is a delayed harvest river. It can be accessed outside of the town of Sylva in Jackson county NC. This would be the closest one from Maryville.

The South Holston will speak for itself.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:03 PM

Hey guys,

I hooked the largest trout of my life on the Cumberland with a guide named Hagan about two years ago. We saw it, I think it was really as long as my leg. Can't remember his last name but if you call the Sporting Tradition fly shop in Lexington, Kentucky they can put you in touch with him. He is a super guide, it was one of my best days of fly fishing.

Rusty, you've been away too long. Get up here soon!

Flyfishermansfly, OK, we've got the picture board up and running. Send a picture so we can see what you look like. Thanks for the great idea.

Byron
Old 11-05-2006, 02:46 AM

Byron, I'm still getting a kick out of the response, the final comment that is! I say all 650 of us and our alias's gets a lil confusing at times! Which is funny, if you think about the whole picture board and the comment regarding putting a face to the name! My father and I frequent your shop on almost a weekly basis, borderline loitering! We love the knowledge and the great sense of welcome in your alls shop, whether your buying or just picking your alls brains. You all really do have a first class shop and the staff to back it up, keep up the good work!

We are taking a trip to the Soho this morn, leaving at 7, can't believe i'm still up, hopefully by later tonight I will have sent you a few pics. They are going to be generating when we get there, so we are hoping on finding a local fly shop! Poked around on the internet and all we could find was Mahoneys, hope that works!

Hopefully it goes well, I'll be sure to let you know!

Also, in reply to the Cumberland one of the guys dad, Gerry, does business with regularly fishes the Cumberland and you would probably know him but I'm not sure of his last name, Bill is the first name! Anyhow we plan on fishing it soon!

Thanks again,
Fishermansfly
Old 11-05-2006, 12:06 PM

Flyfishermansfly,

OK, I know who you are now. Hope you all had a great day of fishing. Tell your Dad Hi.

Byron
Old 12-01-2006, 12:02 PM

Hi guys, new to the board. If you are looking at fishing the Cumberland, now is not the time. For the past two weeks they have been generating current nearly 24/7. The generation schedule for today is 6 a.m. to midnight and it should get progressively worse as the weekend goes by.

If you do get a chance to fish there I think you will be pleased. It is typical of most tailwater areas and current is a key. I would reccomend the stretch near Burkesville, KY which is not far from Celina Tennessee. There are some quality brow trout there due to the 1 fish, 20-inch minimum that was put on several years ago.

Byron, the guide you fished with is Hagan Wonn, and from everything I have heard, he is a quality guide and has a great knowledge of the river.