Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 12-01-2006, 04:50 PM

Default Private stream in Boone, NC

Spent the days leading up to thanksgiving in a house on some private land that happened to have trophy trout in them. The weather was cold and nasty the whole time with temperatures never getting above 40 and on monday and wednesday it was raining to make things even nastier! The fishing, however, was surprisingly good. I landed tons of fish between all three days and even landed some very nice ones. I didn't have any luck with any insect imitations, but they tore up large streamers, but only if i gave the fly some action. Twitching it and stripping it against the current proved to be deadly. It was a very lovely stream and i had a great time, although there seemed to be something missing since they were stocked fish. These fish were stocked 7 years ago and have received supplemental feedings on a periodic basis. Anyways, here are some pics of a couple of nicer fish and some scenery.

A large brook trout!

An extremely large rainbow! This fish is actually substantially bigger than the brook trout, although the picture doesn't look like it. It took me probably 15 minutes to get him in and he had me down to my backing two separate times. It was an extremely heavy fish.

A nice hole in a nice stream

It was raining pretty heavy on wednesday and about 36 degrees, but i managed to catch this colorful rainbow and stay dry! I don't know which is the better accomplishment!

Old 12-01-2006, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Private stream in Boone, NC

By the way, i have to say thanks to hugh, you're "brown trout killer" worked great!
Old 12-01-2006, 05:44 PM

Nice fish. Those are some pigs for sure, especially that rainbow! Good work and thanks for sharing the pictures...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 12-01-2006, 05:52 PM

Man alive Craig! What have they been feeding those fish--bisquits and gravy Those things are beauties. That last fish is colored so well, it looks like a native. I'm glad that the Crow Fly worked for you. I heard of a wild 27incher taken out of the Oconoluftee River a few weeks ago and I wondered if he took the "brown trout killer" Keep posting these great reports.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:02 PM

how big is the brookie?
Old 04-26-2007, 08:43 PM

Not really sure. The rainbow is actually bigger but the pictures was taken farther away so it doesn't really look it. I could make a guess at it but it probably wouldn't be any more accurate than your guess. Definitely a pretty fish, though.

Craig
Old 04-27-2007, 10:13 AM

looks like some real hogs......nice work!