Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 12-14-2006, 04:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Default Hazel Creek houseboats

I have a client who is in the group of relatives that TVA ferries to the cemetary on the north shore every June for decoration day. While she has fly fished extensively out west, she's never fished the Smokies - even though her husband gifted her with a locally hand-built mountain stream outfit. She says one of her dreams is to park a houseboat at the bottom of Hazel Creek, take a canoe and fly fish her way as far upstream as she can. She wants to spend a week or so there and use the houseboat as a kind of base of operations. Question number one is: Is this doable? If so, then question number two is: does anybody know of a source for houseboat rentals in June?

I'm not familiar with the area myself but I've seen messages posted from time to time about Hazel Creek, so I thought I'd ask here and see if I could help her out.

Turns out that her grandfathr is buried in the cemetary on the north shore. According to her, he did a huge chunk of the original land surveying for TVA in and around the Smokies. I figure that, at one time or another, most of us who fish here have benefitted from his work. Maybe we can return the favor.

Gerry Romer
"I've since learned to use the best knot rather than the one that uses the least line. I go through more tippet material but compensate by drinking cheaper whiskey. One must have priorities." ... Art Scheck
Old 12-14-2006, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Hazel Creek houseboats

Gerry,

How are you doing buddy? I think you can rent houseboats at the Fontana Village marina. Paula and I have paddled a canoe across the lake to Hazel Creek a few times but have never rented a houseboat. But, what a great idea. You could anchor in the Hazel Creek embayment and not have to paddle far to get to Proctor. From the other side of Fontana directly across from Hazel Creek at the Forest Service Campground it takes about an hour in a canoe to get to Proctor. From Fontana Village it would take a long time in a canoe.

Byron
Old 12-15-2006, 02:23 PM

1 hour 45 minutes from Fontana and that is humpin it! I think about 6 miles each way. And the wind can really whip up the waves on Fontana, it is long and in a deep valley most of the way through there. You can literally get out of the boat and be at Proctor campground though, unless the water is way down.

Tight lines,
Old 12-18-2006, 05:38 PM

Hi about the Houseboats; I read this weekend the Fontana Village Resort rents houseboats at their marina. The do ferry people across the lake as well, the last time (way too long ago) it was $27.00 round trip per person.
www.fontanavillage.com is their website.
Best,