Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 12-13-2006, 03:01 PM

Default what line conditioner

just wondering what some of you may be using to clean/condition your fly line. i have used silicon paste, loon's 'line speed', and 'zip juice' by orvis. the zip juice, which looked and smelled like diluted dawn detergent, did the best job of removing the grime. the silicon seemed to keep the line floating the best. any suggestions?
Old 12-13-2006, 11:32 PM

Default Re: what line conditioner

I usually clean my flylines really good after 4-5 fishing trips( sometimes longer) unless I use it in a pond or lake. I strip off the line into a bucket of soapy water and pull it through a soft sponge. I rinse it again with clean water and then apply the Cortland line cleaner and conditioner while checking for bad nicks in the line. I wipe off excess when winding it back onto the reel. I will usually re-tie on a new nailknot for the leader attachment at this time. I carry in my vest or chestpack a Cortland Fly Line cleaner (with "Float-Cote") pad and will run about 30ft of line through it in between trips. There are probably some better products on the market now, but it has worked pretty well for me over the years.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:43 AM

thanks for the reply troutman. i guess it makes a big difference how clear or not the water is. at the elk, the end of my line is usually not floating anymore after a full day of fishing. i like your idea of soaking the line in a bucket, will give it a try.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:49 PM

wndeagle, It sounds like the tip of your flyline is absorbing water into the core. I would trim it back 2-3" and retie or replace the leader connection. I replace mine about every two months. I use liquid dishwashing detergent and my carwashing bucket to clean the flyline in. Its a good idea to stretch out the backing and recheck all your line connections after each trip also. It amazing how much dirt can get into the reel mechanisms, so dont forget to rinse your reels and flyrod reelseats also. Sorry it sounds like I'm lecturing!
Old 12-15-2006, 01:23 PM

all good points to be sure! actually, i just replaced the fly line and backing, and even sent the reel to orvis so they could go over it good. i use a double tapered 2 wt. which is very small at the end, so not much surface tension there. i think you're right about giving it a good cleaning. the zip juice, (dawn detergent?), did the best job of removing the debris. i've used it up, but i think i'll just dilute some dish washing detergent to make my own.

Old 12-16-2006, 01:24 AM

I use a product called Glide. I'll clean my line while I'm fishing a lot of the time. A clean, slick, line is far less work. Nutrient rich tailwaters and lakes will dirty a line very quickly. I have found that certain lines repel dirt better than others.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:53 PM

a cleaner that can be used on the water would be ideal, i do a search for 'glide'. *thanks again. my 6wt line is less prone to sinking, and it is a different type of line.