Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-13-2006, 07:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to FFM4LIFE
Default Seeking Information - Abrams Creek

I'm looking for information about Abrams Creek: can anyone tell me about fishing the horseshoe? I understand that there are two areas - Big Horseshoe and Little Horseshoe? Which area is recommended?

Old 12-13-2006, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Seeking Information - Abrams Creek

I love fishing Abrams Creek in the Springtime. Fantastic Dry fly fishing and great scenery. I enjoy both Horseshoes so I can't really suggest one over the other. I usually fish from above the falls all the way back to the parking area. This will take all day so take a daypack with lunch and extra water and an extra pack flyrod (in case you fall and break your rod while in the gorge). I usually pack a small first aid kit and matches and a headlamp flashlight just in case! Always take someone with you and let someone at home know the area you will be fishing. This river is very slippery and plan on falling down often. Hiking past all the more pressured water close to the parking area will be rewarded with a better fish.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:22 PM

The big Horseshoe is an all day affair by itself, in my experience. The little one about half a day. Many people have spent the night in there, so don't fool around alot on the big horseshoe. Nice water, fishing can be good. The nastiest wading in the park in my opinion though, studs are almost a must. Just make it a rule not to step on any sloping rocks, they will dump you in a heartbeat! I haven't broken a rod or anything else back there, don't know how though, I have taken some of those "throw yourself down three or four times" spills back there before!
As Troutman said; take someone along.
Good Luck!
Old 12-14-2006, 01:09 AM

yeah, you're more than likely going to fall in if you fish abrams. I'm 24, in good shape, and though I don't own one, I wouldn't mind having a wading staff on that stream. as with anywhere, the fishing will be better the further you hike in, but honestly, I just fish the area around the trailhead alot and the fishing's not bad there. the only draw back to abrams, other than the deadly wading is the cades cove traffic that comes to a screeching halt if so much as a chipmunk appears. if you're not from the area, it probably won't bother you so much, as you'll just be cruising along at 2mph in the kind of place that looks like what is meant by the term "god's country". but if you're just trying to get back there and do some fishing, it can be somewhat aggrivating. also, according to my statistics this year, you're about 98% sure to see a bear.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to FFM4LIFE

Thanks for the input and suggestions about fishing the horseshoe areas. Is there easy access to the river from the trail once you are past the initial trailhead area?
Old 12-14-2006, 10:00 AM

Go to the GSMNP website and they have trails maps that will help you.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:02 PM

Mr. Hartsel (Hugh) is among the best sources of information about Abram's, you might try messaging him with any specific questions. I do know that as the days become shorter it can be somewhat perilous trying to get in and out while there is enough daylight. My best guess is that Hugh could also make some great suggestions as to which flies would do well and when.

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton