Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-17-2006, 07:13 PM

Default Sunday fishing report

We'll, guess I should have known better. I skipped church today and went fishing. I went by LRO this morning for some info on Abrams creek and some supplies . I drove over the Foothills parkway to lower Abrams creek and hiked downstream about a mile below the parking area. I hadn't ever fished that section before but always looking for new areas to tryout. The stream widens out down there and is pretty shallow. I hoped to locate some browns up from the lake looking to spawn. Unfortunately, No fish were caught and I didn't even see a single fish period. I ran into one other fisherman on my way back to the car and he hadn't caught any either The water temp only reached 45deg. by 2:30pm and I tried to stay in the sunny areas but I guess a skunking was inevitable. The kids are out of school later this week so I feel I should take off work and take them fishing! Guess I'll be back in church next week too
Old 12-17-2006, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Sunday fishing report

Quote:
The water temp only reached 45deg. by 2:30pm
Actually, that's encouraging to me...it never got that high when I was up there for Thanksgiving, and I still managed to pick up a few (of course, they weren't browns, so it was a much easier job than what you were attempting). Anyway, I hope to be up there in the Smokies for New Year's, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed with the weather. I'm not asking for perfect conditions - just warm enough for a few trout to feed.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:24 PM

Ran into Tman on my way downstream from the parking lot. He told me of the skunking and the fact that he hadn't seen any trout. I gave it a shot to hit some of the same spots (hoping it was a bit warmer than earlier) and joined the skunking club. I did see one nice size brown below one of the deeper ledges that I spooked with a less than soft presentation. Other than this one trout, I did not see any other fish. May give it another try tomorrow afternoon. See ya out there!
Old 12-19-2006, 06:51 AM

Well, may as well join the club.....I was on 'Luftee Sunday for about 3 hours and didn't see the first fish. I even tried an egg pattern in the last hole. It was one of those days when it seems as if there were not any fish in the stream. gm
Old 12-19-2006, 10:38 PM

Hey guys, Maybe it time to start tying or make plans heading south to fish. 30 days till the fish around Sanibel start seeing my flies
Randy Sale
Kytroutbum
Old 12-19-2006, 11:08 PM

Sanibel sounds great right now. I stayed at Casa Ybel two weeks before the last Hurricane tore through the island a couple of years ago. the snook were cruising the beaches and I rented a sea kayak and tried to cast to them with the 8wt. Sure didn't know what I was doing. I wanted to fish in the DDWR but a lady was attacked by a gator while wade fishing the week we were there. ( What was she thinking?) Hope to return again someday and take a guide trip but guess I do need to restock the fly boxes and maybe hit the Watauga in Jan. March is just around the corner and the Mtns will come alive again with great fishin!
Old 12-19-2006, 11:21 PM

Quote:
March is just around the corner and the Mtns will come alive again with great fishin!
That can't come any too soon to suit me... 8-)
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com