Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 12-19-2006, 02:43 PM

Default Harpeth friday

The TWRA is stocking the Harpeth in Franklin on Friday and as luck would have it...I'm off work that day and the little lady is out earining a living. Do you guys recommend giving it a try (I was gonna call the TWRA and find the spot) or should I avoid the crowd and just go to the Elk or Duck? I want to just fish for a few hours before I head home for Christmas.

Thanks and good luck out there.

dw
Old 12-19-2006, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Harpeth friday

if it's closer than the other's go for it, hopefully we'll get a lil rain, i'm sure the Harpeth is pretty low.

Grumpy
Old 12-20-2006, 09:15 AM

Deedub: check this link for a map of all TWRA winter stocking locations:

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/gis/trou...routindex.html

I walked down to the Harpeth site last Sunday to check it , it's about 2 minutes from my house. After finding the stocking location on the map I was hesitant to get excited about the prospect of winter trout there- it's not exactly a pristine setting, more of a wandering ditch at that point. However, the city (or someone) has gone in recently and cleaned up around the dam where they're set to release the fish...should make casting much easier as it would have been tight quarters before. Grumpy is right, the water is pretty low right now so a little rain today might help the cause...and maybe keep the 'bucket brigade' at home.

I stopped by the Stones River at Nice Mill Dam on Sunday 12/11, 2 days after the TWRA stocked there. It was pretty crowded with locals loading up their stringers with dinner...but I had a blast. In about 1 hour I caught 6 rainbows, all 10+ inches except one. Fished a #6 Olive Wooly slowly at first, then stepped up my retrieve speed a little and started hammering them. After watching me release my fish, one guy asked me if I wasn't going to keep the fish I caught would I give them to him?

My kids went down for their afternoon nap about 2 pm...I was out the door, in the water catching fish, and back home before they woke up. For an otherwise unproductive winter afternoon, you can't beat that little vacation with a stick.msh
Old 12-20-2006, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the replys Grumpy and Big Irish...the Stones River may be a possibility if the Harpeth is too crowded.
I'm sure the corn will be flyin'.
dw
Old 12-20-2006, 03:49 PM

big irish,

Thanks for the link, I have never seen one this detailed. The maps on the few streams I pulled up are
just what I need. The only thing missing are where the no trespessing signs and private property locations are. Oh will I guess you can't have everything.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:22 AM

Quote:
big irish,

Thanks for the link, *I have never seen one this detailed. *The maps on the few streams I pulled up are
just what I need. * The only thing missing are where the no trespessing signs and private property locations are. *Oh will I guess you can't have everything.
That's easy, just keep your ears tuned to the sound of a 12 guage being jacked, you'll lnow it's time to move on

Grumpy
Old 12-22-2006, 02:12 PM

The Williamson AM had an artilce about the stocking in yesterdays paper. I plan on trying to fish it on saturday. I hope to see some of you all there.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:59 AM

I just saw it on the news, looked like opening day up north

Grumpy
Old 12-23-2006, 10:58 AM

Yeah...I went yesterday morning and it was an event to be sure. When the news live trucks showed up I hit the road. And no...I'm not wanted in the state or anything. I guess I just wanted to fish with a little more peace and quiet. Take care and have a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

dw
Old 12-26-2006, 11:27 AM

I fished the Harpeth on Saturday. I did pretty well once everyone went home for lunch. I used a BHWB right below the dam and caught 4 around 14 inches. I fished it again Christmas morning, but the water was really muddy because of the rain and didnt have any luck. It was fun though because I only had to drive about 5 minutes instead of 2 hours.