Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 12-21-2006, 12:22 AM

Default Green Weenie

I am tying some GW like the one lro sells, but can't seem to find the right hook with the correct shank length. The hooks i have been using for wooly buggers have a longer shank. The chennel (now you know why Gaintfish can't spell ) I have is like one size larger. This is an easy beginner fly that gaintfish can cut his teeth tying. Plus the those fly eating trees ate several last year, so I need several to keep the tree gods happy.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Green Weenie

hey whatever happened to giantfish. I haven't seen him post in a long time. Hopefully he's still gungho about fly fishing!
Old 12-21-2006, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Plus the those fly eating trees ate several last year, so I need several to keep the tree gods happy.
I like to think of them as inch-worm decoys. They ones I place in the overhanging limbs and trees are there for the trout to see and congregate around just waiting for it to fall into the water.

All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand.

50.67% of all statistics are made up.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:12 AM

I tie 'em on mustad 9672 in sz 12 and 14. 9672 is a 3X long, 2X strong nymph hook. Go with the smallest diameter chenille you can get for these sizes, and wrap it down tight to get that slimmer look.

Here is a link to conversions for similar hooks by other manufacturers:

http://www.hookhack.com/hookconvchart.html

AA
2Timothy2:15
Old 12-21-2006, 02:34 PM

Gaintfish will be back for a little while during the christmas break. His midterms were not what dear old Dad wanted, so his time on the computer was restricted. His finals were good except for 2 classes so I may let him on a little bit more. Alegreba is more important to me than posting, even though he doesn't see it the same way as I do. I am going to get him tying some green weenie and buggers over the break. This is somthing he is showing a lot of intrest in, so with your all's help, I hope to develop it into some thing he and I can send more time doing.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:12 PM

We have the Green Weenies tied on a 9671 Mustad #12. Tell Giantfish we said hello.

Byron
Old 12-21-2006, 05:14 PM

Hey Vern......tell giantfish we all said "hey".....grades are important, better grades and education can offer him the ability to enjoy this sport of FF more if he plays his cards right....

we miss his enthusiasm and interest in the sport and look forward to having him back on the board.....

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 12-22-2006, 12:41 AM

In response to Griffs comment . Where do you come up with this stuff! If a fish could only drool. I can see him (Griff) going back to the same hole, with the same over hanging limb full of greenie weenies accompanied by a web of tippet. As his eyes peer to the water below with a big grin, saying to himself, "Yup, I got you boys fooled this time!" I don't hunt personally couldn't bring myself to hurt an animal, but I've always imagined this is what the typical southern hunter would say. That comment made my night always good to find the humor in things, even if it makes you madder than the devil at the time. Just can't get over the mental picture, decoys that's hilarious. Of course, this is probably the reason why my father and I haven't had any luck with that particular fly this year.

They have the hooks there as Byron posted, give one of them a shout and they'll point you in the right direction!
Merry Christmas to all, as a jolly fat man once said!
Fishermansfly
Old 12-22-2006, 10:05 PM

Never considered using them as decoys, maybe instead of using a stimulator as an attractor with the green weenie as a droper. How about tying a leaf pattern as a attractor. I have hung one in a tree, yanked if off with a leaf attached to the stimulator and still caught a Rainbow after it hit the river.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:07 PM

PS I noticed Gaintfish is back posting, see his post on surival.