Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-21-2006, 10:50 PM

Default Smokies Report

I woke up late this morning expecting to just be lazy and tie a few flies. However, when I got online I saw that the water temp in LR was starting off at a balmy 45 degrees. Despite my late start, I figured that today would be as good a day as any and headed towards the park. I wanted to focus on trying to get a really good fish today so after stopping at LRO for a few things, I headed up LR and started hitting some of the big holes. I started catching fish right away but nothing over 10 or 11 inches.

After hitting several different holes, I returned to one in particular that I usually do well at.

A large black stonefly nymph came out of my fly box and I started chucking it in at the head of the pool. On just the third or fourth cast, I had one of those great strikes where the line just stops and when you set the hook, something heavy is shaking its head. I was really hoping that it was a decent brown but out of the depths came a flash of rainbow. Now I was excited since I haven't got as many nice rainbows this year as in years past. Finally, I had the fish, all 15 inches of rainbow, up for a quick picture (which didn't turn out too good) and slid it back into the pool I had taken it from. Here's the best of the 3 pictures I got of the good rainbow.

The fishing today was very good, easily the best I've seen in a couple of months. Fish were feeding heavily just about everywhere I stopped. I even saw a good brown out cruising in one hole. There were good numbers of midges hatching. A Tellico, Zebra Midge, and of course the stonefly nymph all did well today. Most of the fish I saw were feeding subsurface but there were a couple of rises over the course of the afternoon.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 12-21-2006, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Smokies Report

Congratulations on that nice fish...and you have to know, for those of us who aren't so lucky to live next door to the mountains, your post is PURE TORTURE! We're headed up there for New Year's, and I've been anxiously eyeballing the water temps every day; I can only hope that the warming trend of the last few days lasts a while, or at least that there isn't a big chill. The extended forecast cools things off a bit, but no big deep freeze - I'll be happy if the temp stays in the low-mid 40s.

Again, congratulations.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:21 PM

Plateau,
Do you live in Crossville? That was some nice Rainbow. I fish the big flies mostly in the park, never have fished a midge. I just hate the thought of it! The water is so clear though, and often they are the only thing hatching, I will have to bend a little and try them with some 6X. A 15" bow in the park is a monster!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Old 12-21-2006, 11:39 PM

WOW... Congrats on the good day! I should have some flexibility in my work schedule next week if conditions are good. Give me a call, even if it's last minute. I'm going to fish Sunday morning for sure, hopefully in the park!

Kevin
Old 12-21-2006, 11:51 PM

Troutwag, I do live in Crossville. I haven't fished midges much in the park either. Everytime I do I catch fish though. I normally can pick up a few fish in the big pools where it is much easier to spot fish than catch them. However, today I was also catching them on the midge in more broken water like shallow runs. I'll probably be using them more based on the success today. I was fishing a two nymph rig with a George nymph as the top and the midge as a dropper. The fish wouldn't even look at the George nymph...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 12-22-2006, 01:07 AM

I wish I'd known you were going. I was off work all day today! oh well, I got my christmas shopping done.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:07 PM

Nice fish there! I may have to try midges in the park too. Thanks for the report.