Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-05-2007, 09:41 PM

Default new years fishing/catching lots of trout

new years day 2007....Was inside LRO...Paula and Byron were behind the counter.....coffee and doughnuts....the coffee smelled good..the doughnuts better...needed some coffee,it was early---found the counter---they ignored me---no one in the store---just me---asked "how's the fishing"---"what are they hitting"---heard one of them say--"fishing is lousy"-----Paula looks around--then says --use an epizootic---bought 5 epizootics---was in a stream---caught no fish---returned to LRO---there were fisher-guys around the counter--Paula and Byron were there---I walked in---everything stopped---Byron says"no one has had any luck today ----how did you do--I answer"which day?"Byron says "anyday"---I says"yesterday i caught 24 trout,,today I caught 25 trout,used epizootics and humblebuzzards---Byron rolls his eyes,with that uh-huh..sure..look and says"that's 49 fish---why didn't you make it 50,just to make the number even".
I said"You don't know me,,but,,I ain't going to **** over 1 trout"""
THEN I WOKE UP

Old 01-05-2007, 09:51 PM

Default Re: new years fishing/catching lots of trout

LOL! We were fishing all day on New Year's day, too...see my Tremont report...not a thing until the end, when I finally got tired of slinging a nymph/split shot combo and tried a dry...sure enough, a hit and a long-distance release. Later, I saw what the water temps were that day, and there was a spike up in temps...even though I never saw any rises (except for my strike), I'm kicking myself for not trying one sooner, or at least a dry/dropper combo.

Oh well...I'm very new to the trout game, so every trip is a learning experience.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:06 PM

That reminds me of a day last summer. I was with my friends Mark and Don up above the cascades. We had fished several hours, and I had 24, Don had 24, and Mark had one. We wanted 50, so Don fished on the way out and got #50 for us.

As we approached the trailhead an older couple stopped and asked us how we did. Mark (the guy who caught 1 fish) quickly replied, "WE CAUGHT 50 TROUT". Don and I were laughing sooo hard... Then he told the rest of the story. Which was followed by if I hadn't caught that one, Don would still be trying for #50. It was a great day with friends...

Kevin
Old 01-05-2007, 10:23 PM

Here's Mark with his latest MONSTER, *caught on Chrstmas eve... By the way he's a MUCH better friend than fisherman, and I always enjoy fishing with him. He got me started Fly Fishing!

Old 01-05-2007, 11:28 PM

I've caught some awful nice fish out of that run Kevin, glad to see that ya'll aren't pestering my fish, just the dinks...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 01-05-2007, 11:41 PM

I let him have that run. He's a great guy and I try to give him the good lanes, after I catch a few of course. We went one time last summer and I made him fish in front of me the whole time. I pushed him up the river hole after hole. He caught 10 that day, I caught quite a bit more than that fishing right behind him. I still rub that in a little... When he's in a good mood. 8-)
Old 01-07-2007, 03:11 PM

Kevin!

Glad to see that you are out and about. I have been busy with family and other stuff. I can't wait till spring. I have bought a bunch of new gear this past few months which I can't hardly wait to tr out. I have a trip booked to Finland this summer. I'm going to meet my mom over there and we are going to travel around to see a bunch of relatives. I am going to fish for Arctic Grayling for the first time in my life. I have decided that all the new gear I bought will have to stay unfished until I get over there.

I will call you this spring to see if we can do Abrams.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:32 PM

Arctic Grayling...even the name sounds cool and refreshing...think I'll pull up this thread in about 4 months or so, when I'm sweating through another Louisiana summer.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:25 PM

yeah, it is exotic even for me. In my native Sweden, the Arctic Grayling used to be widespread all the way down to the south of the country where I'm from. Nowadays due to siltation and other environmental impact the fish is only found in central and northern Sweden. You can find a few good rivers in Denmark with Graylingm as well as most of Norway. Finland has some and so does the U.K.

I have learned that the arctic grayling which is the european grayling obtain somewhat larger sizes than the american grayling. I saw an interesting sidenote to this, Orvis is apparently raising money this year for Grayling conservation efforts on Big Horn river in MN.

Anyways,
Old 01-07-2007, 04:34 PM

They're a neat looking fish, with that big dorsal fin. Of course, I find flounders to be neat looking, and even better tasting