Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-07-2007, 06:08 PM

Default Re: new years fishing/catching lots of trout

I did a little grayling fishing a few years back in one place I NEVER thought they would be...Arizona! Prior to my deployment to the "sandbox" from Ft. Huachuca (South of Tuscan), I spent a few weekends in the mountain streams and lakes at Fort Apache Indian Reservation which is an hour or so northeast of Phoenix. The mountains in this area are 10 to 11 thousand feet (Sunrise Ski Resort) and the snow melt and overall weather keeps the waters cold enough year round for heldover trout. They have cutthroat, browns, rainbows, and graylings. Stream fishing is good, but the lake fishing was Fantastic! They do not allow morotized boats in the lakes, so many fly guys use float tubes and sinking lines (a first for me). We were catching trout with an average size of 18-20 with a few monster browns hitting 24+. Most stay at the campsites lakeside or head to the hotels in the cool little town called Pinetop. There is a 3-day permit for $10-15 dollars and if you want to fish the trophy lakes (catch and release only) it's an additional $5 a day. To catch the graylings, one has to fish deeper (60 plus feet) with peacock streamers and wooly buggers (with peacock herls). We would cast out as far as ones ability (tough when your sitting up to your waist in water), strip out any additional line, and slowly kick (with fins) while making short strips. They were certainly smaller than the monster browns, but a 14 inch grayling is not too shabby! There is a nice flyshop in the town of Pinetop were they will rent you float tubes and neoprene waders. Can't think of the name, but the owner is a fellow Army guy and is a good egg. Anybody up for a trip to Phoenix?
Old 01-07-2007, 07:08 PM

Very interesting, I didn't know of grayling in AZ. I do know that most of the grayling fishing in Scandinavia is done in rivers. I will fish mainly mid sized rivers while I'm in Finland. I will do mostly small reddish drys. I will be there in mid June so I hope the water levels will be okay after the spring rains.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:24 PM

Ever heard of Grayling, Michigan. The Ausable River had a population of Grayling before the logging there wiped them out. I don't know if they were wild or exotic. It is one of the most beautiful rivers I've ever fished.

Byron
Old 01-07-2007, 07:36 PM

Byron,

went through there in the early nineties, I actually spent some time up there, If I remember right, Isn't that area the birthplace of TU?
Old 01-07-2007, 07:39 PM

Hans,

You are right. Trout Unlimited was founded on the banks of that river. They call it the Holy Water.
It's a cool place.

Byron
Old 01-07-2007, 07:43 PM

Well, Byron, I'm sure you have been busy lately and I haven't been able to concentrate on any fishing, I am ready and excited about my upcoming Finland trip. I have a birthday coming up, a big one and I'm hoping to spend some more money in your wonderful store. I said I won't be in until March but I might stop in later this month. I got two products in mind that I need, Let me change that, NEED IS NOT accurate, it is WANT.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Oh, my! *Lauxier....haha...the tears! *I am still laughing! *I was off today and Byron told me about your dream when he came home! *HAHAHA! *I don't think those were epizootics...I believe they were psychotics! *

Your dream did get the coffee right...and donuts on Saturday, when Glenn is there!

VERY funny!

Paula
Old 01-08-2007, 02:11 AM

Not to get to far off topic, I caught a few grayling in AK this past summer. Caught most of them on EHC wish the fin was up in the picture. Hans I hope you get on some of these, they are lots of fun.