Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 01-07-2007, 12:21 PM

Default We need your help!

Our website activity has grown so much since we launched a year ago and we are very excited about it. It is now obvious to us that our future depends on this site. Two months ago we doubled the size of our server at the data center to handle the activity. I watch on a monitor in my office every day, everything that is going on. If we exceed our allotted space on the server the site will slow down or you may not be able to get on. It's a quick fix to make it larger and I can't wait to do it again. Last night we encountered a record number of people on the board. Since it was late and I was asleep I don't know if it had any effect on the speed of the site. For instance, our load average now is 8% and our % idle is 89% which is good and I think there are over 30 people on the message board right now. Everything is running fine. When the Load Average exceeds 100% and the Idle drops to 0%, things slow down. That happens usually on a weekday in the afternoon. We are monitoring that closely.

So, please post here or call us if you encounter a slowdown that lasts very long or if you can't get on the site at all. We'll then take care of it. Thank you all for your enthusiasm and support. I enjoy this board as much as you do. Keep it up and thank you for your support!

Byron
Old 01-07-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Re: We need your help!

Will do...web development/system admin is my profession, and I have to do much the same with my company's servers. I know the capacity issue is a problem, but it's a good problem, of course - your site is getting a lot of hits. Who knows, you might even get to the point where you'll need your own, dedicated server...the good news about that is, even full-blooded servers are getting cheaper all the time.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:16 PM

Ian,

You are right. I've priced them and that will probably be our next move. We have an excellent internet guy and we buy our service through him. He trained Daniel and I to build this site. I could probably find a cheaper service direct but he's there for us 24/7. I called him at 9:00 on a Sunday night to leave a message that our site was having trouble and he answered the phone and got us through it. Can't beat service like that. I keep Telnet running all day long on a computer every day to monitor the activity.

Byron
Old 01-07-2007, 03:30 PM

It is amazing to stop and think for a minute, just how our society has changed, for better and worse, because of the 'net. As for me, I've been developing software professionally for almost 20 years, but I have a hard time remembering anything but web development now. And, as far as fly-fishing for trout is concerned - most everything I've purchased so far has been online. I can't wait for you to start selling your flies online; for example, I haven't been able to find a tellico nymph to buy online anywhere...those sort of regional specialties I'm sure will sell well for you.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:57 AM

ijsouth,

I also have trouble finding those local GSMNP area local flies online. In addition to tellicos, the yellowhammers, iso nymphs, blackfly larva, etc. are also hard to find online. I like to have a quick turnaround on orders I place before trips. I don't have a local flyshop, and don't tie, so I too am looking forward to seeing some of the local flies online.