Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 01-07-2007, 05:37 PM

Default Rod Selection...

I'm in the market for a new 4wt rod. I want it to be a 4 piece and 8-9 ft long. I prefer a slow to medium flex. I would like to stay under $250.

Please advise any rod that meets this criteria... Then I'll go try them out!

Thanks in advance!
Kevin
Old 01-07-2007, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Rod Selection...

Too bad St Croix quit making Premier. I own one 9ft 2 pc 4wt and 1 9ft 4 pc 5wt. I think their Reign and possibly the new Triump Series uses similar IM6 low 30's modulus, which is what you want to be on the slow side.

Slow action rods are not easy to find anymore. LRO should be able to show you some Orvis, I don't own any Orvis but I think the superfines are on the slow side.

Old 01-07-2007, 06:56 PM

Kevin,

I forgot to mention Sage. I know most Sage to be a little fast but go to LRO and try the Launch Series. It's at $200 and US made to boot.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:14 PM

Thanks Hans, I'll check them out!
Old 01-07-2007, 10:16 PM

Hey Kevin.......do you want those glass bead head green weenies with or without lead wrap for weight.......

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 01-07-2007, 11:18 PM

I fish green weenies as a dropper under a #14 Yellow Stim or Parachute Adams. I would like it heavy enough to get down, but not so heavy as to drown the dry. I give this information, not because I'm picky, but I'm not real sure which would work best for my style. You make the call! Thanks again!
Old 01-07-2007, 11:28 PM

Have u fished Plateua's St. Croix? U wet a line with him haven't U? Not sure now, anyhow dad just picked up a 7'9" St. Croix Avid, seems to really like it, he landed a 11" on it today at the SOHO! LRO sells the Legend Ultra 9' 4wt for around three hundred i think! A nice rod according to Platau, his is a 3wt though! It's high modules generation 4 so it's a fast action rod! I'd strongly reccomend the Orvis super fines awesome slow action wide loops and pinpoint soft presentation! A little more money though! The TFO signiture series aren't bad either. :-/ :-/

Happy hunting!
Fishermansfly
Old 01-07-2007, 11:45 PM

I didn't fish with PA's St Croix, but I did check the flex on it and I loved it! *I think it's a Legacy or Legend series, or something like that. *Can't imagine that rod is Fast action, probably medium. *Which is more than likely what I will go with. *Most stuff is Med to Med/Fast. *If I can find a good Medium, I'll probably go with that. *I just like to feel the line load on the rod.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:27 AM

I'll second (or third) the Superfines although they remade the entire line of rods and I've heard mixed reviews of the newer ones. If you want a SWEET dry fly rod that is soft, try to get your hands on one of the older model Superfines. Also, that rod of mine was the Legend Ultra... Walter Babb recommended the St. Croix Avid series to me when I was thinking about upgrading and it runs a little less than the Legend Ultra price-wise and is supposed to be a bit slower...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 01-08-2007, 02:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

I'm currently fishing a 7'9" St. Croix Avid 3 wt. that I picked up at LRO last week and it is fantastic! I fished it in the mountains last week and it's got a great touch for those tight spots. I fished it today in some pretty strong winds on the SOHO and it did remarkably well. I know what you mean by wanting to feel it load and I was very impressed by the feel of it loading in the wind today. If you've got the time, go see Daniel and cast an Avid side-by-side with a TFO and a Trout Bum. If you don't want to go up to the Trout Bum price tag, one of those two will do nicely for you.

Gerry Romer
"I've since learned to use the best knot rather than the one that uses the least line. I go through more tippet material but compensate by drinking cheaper whiskey. One must have priorities." ... Art Scheck