Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 01-08-2007, 09:12 AM

Default Re: Rod Selection...

Thanks Gerry, I have a TFO 3wt and I really enjoy it. *The St Croix Avid keeps coming up, so I'm definitely going to give it a try. *I must say I liked PA's St Croix a bit better than my TFO.

PA - LRO just had a closeout on older model Orvis rods, so I may have missed my opportunity... I'll keep my eyes open though, you never know.

Thanks guys!
Kevin
Old 01-08-2007, 10:18 AM

Hey Kevin.......

have you thought about building your own rod? You can save alot of $ or allow you to upgrade substantially due to the cost savings.......You can even get kits from Sage or St Croix....it really isn't that difficult...

Byron.......would you guys have rod building kits available at any time in the future......I shure would rather buy a kit from LRO than the other sites........

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 01-08-2007, 11:26 AM

I've brought that question up already to Paula! I believe she said that they had tried this in the past and didn't have quite the market for it. Who knows though with the online store! They may give it another go. However that being said she did mention that they could order blanks and reel seats from thier manufactures that being; Sage, Winston, TFO, St. Croix, and Scott so keep that in mind. I'm not positive on reel seats but I think they can order from Pacific bay, I think I'm wrong on that but they can order reel seats guides and grips from somewhere!

However I second what Buckeye said, you can get the rod of your dreams for a little more than half of what you would pay for a manufactured rod and build it the exact way you wanted it....Something I read by a new rod builder was the fact that after he started his first rod build he noticed that the manufactured rods have alot of sloppy work to them! Mainly with thread wraps and the flex coat a top the wraps! I've noticed this as well! However there are some rod making companies out there Winston, Scott, and Orvis who seem to take alot of pride in assembling thier blanks. Non of which I think would play to any effect on the rod, but something you wouldn't normally notice in an expensive investment!

Fishermansfly
Old 01-08-2007, 06:57 PM

I can certainly understand how building your own rod would be very rewarding, but I don't think it's for me. *Maybe later in life when I have more time. *I really appreciate all the ideas though. *I'm very interested in trying the St Croix. *I'll know within a few seconds when I try it if I like it or not. *

Thanks and keep the ideas coming, I may buy the rod in Febuary.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:51 AM

I would definitely suggest upgrading to the St. Croix Legend Ultra. I bought a 9ft 3wt several years ago and it is my favorite rod. I overline it with a DT 4wt line to load the rod a little quicker and the length makes for a perfect nymphing rod. It will also throw a dry out to 60ft. I have caught 6" specks up to 5lb Largemouths with this rod so it is very strong for a 3wt.
St. Croix rods are American made and have a good warranty. I slipped off a boulder a few years ago on the W. Prong and crushed the rod above the handle. I shipped it back to them and they sent me a new rod back. I also fish an Orvis Superfine 4wt in the Mtns. but when heading to bigger water like a tailwater, I usually reach for the LU. My next rod will be the 10ft 6wt Legend Ultra hopefully before Smallie season gets good. Send me a PM if you want to meet up a the "Y"and cast it before you make your decision. *
* * * * * * * * Gary
Old 01-10-2007, 10:26 PM

I really appreciate that! I'll probably go to LRO this weekend and try it out. I'm gonna try to go by and meet a few guys in the Fly class. I'll let know how that turns out... Thanks again!