Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 01-10-2007, 12:41 AM

Default Montgomery Alabama

I will be in Montgomery Alabama for most of March and April attending a school for the Air Force. Is there anywhere around there that someone could recomend wetting a line. I'm sure I'll come home a couple weekends and fish the park, but what about the weekends I have to stay in Montgomery?

Thanks!
Kevin
Old 01-10-2007, 12:59 AM

Default Re: Montgomery Alabama

Hmmm...I've been in that situation before; I worked temporarily out at Gunter for a few months for my company a few years back. There is some good bass fishing in those parts, but I think you pretty much need a boat for that. I keep reading about the Sipsey tailwater on the board, but that's a bit of a drive from Montgomery.

When I was up there, I would come home every other weekend, and on the non-"home" weekends, I'd drive up to the mountains. That was before I got into trout fishing; I just wanted to look at the mountains, just for the novelty of it.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:10 AM

I saw the Sipsey and I'll probably try to do that at least once while I'm there. I'm going to try some Saltwater in Panama City while I'm down there too. Never tried the Saltwater thing before...
Old 01-10-2007, 01:17 AM

I'll make sure and fish out the "skunk hole" while your gone! ljsouth, when are you going to give in and just move up here?
Old 01-10-2007, 01:21 AM

I'll be home for a few weekends and we can rotate who gets the "Skunk Hole". Man I love that run of water...
Old 01-10-2007, 01:52 AM

It's a tempting thought...but, believe it or not, I'd miss Louisiana after a bit. I've lived in other places, and you realize just what a unique place it is when you're away.

However, I could see myself finding some place in the woods up there, after the girls are out of the house. In the meantime, it's a good thing I enjoy driving; I can get to the Middle Prong in 9.5 hours.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:50 AM

redc4man,

What kind of fishing are you looking for lake/ river (bass, bream, crappie, stripers, catfish)? I live in Montgomery, so I might be able to point you in the right direction.

Sterling
Old 01-10-2007, 03:06 PM

The Sipsey is the only place you can fish for trout. It's prabably 2 1/2 hours from where you are. It is north of Birmingham about an hour. You take 65 N to the Jasper exit, Hwy 69, and it is about 20 miles? from there. There is the Riverside Fly Fishing Shop on the left. (I recommend you going in there and getting some ideas on what to use). That is where you turn right to go up to the dam. Fishing is okay when the water is down, forget it if the water is up. You can call AL Power and get the water release schedule BUT, and I emphasize BUT, they do not always follow that schedule. The siren sounds and they start releasing water immediately. You can call 1-800-525-3711 option 5, then1, then2 to get the generation schedule.

It is a beautiful place to fish and there lots of room, and the fishing is okay to good on stockers. Since it is the only place to really flyfish for trout, it's the best we have and we enjoy it. Hope this helps. By the way you might also want to read the Sipsey posts on this site.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:55 AM

redc4man,

You may want to get your map and look at the Tallapoosa north of the Lake Martin/Alex City area. There is some good fishing for spots/stripers in that river (and in & below Lake Martin also). You'll need a boat for the lake. If you look a detailed road map, you can see the river access points. It's about an hour from Montgomery. The river is usually wadeable at the shoals, better overall access in a canoe/kayak. The Coosa/Lake Jordan area is also a good place to fish. Enjoy your stay in Montgomery.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:29 PM

Thanks for the replies... I'm just looking for trout, so I guess I'll slide up to the Sipsey if I get a chance. Thanks again!