Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 01-10-2007, 10:51 PM

Default Last Minute Question

This is very last minute because I just found out I have the day off tomorrow and would like to do some fishing. I checked the generation schedule for around here and see that everythign seems to be running two generators except South Holston Resevior. Is this the South Holston that everyone fishes or is it the other one that flows from Fort Patrick Henry Resevior. If one generator is flowing from the South Holston Resevior does that make it still possible to wade? This is my first time trying a new river can someone point me in the right direction. I am used to fishing the Hiwasse on one and two generators and was just wondering if this is what it would be like? I'm kinda freaking out because I dont really know where to go but dont want to waste the day since I dont have school. PLEASE someone help me out! Thanks.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Last Minute Question

Hey Dude,

Been a while since I've seen you down on the HI.

Anyway, While the SOHO is not one of the rivers that I know the best, I do know you should be looking for flows from South Holston Dam on the TVA site. This is the dam that is immediately upstream of the popular tailwater that everyone fishes. Also, it has been my experience that wading and flow from the dam do not mix.

The SoHo only has one turbine and it pushes somewhere around 2100 cfs. Now it is possible that there may be some spots that are wadable with the water running, but I have no clue where they would be. Overall I'd suggest getting out of the water quickly if you notice it rising.

Hope this helps and maybe some of the other more experienced SOHO'ers will chime in. Good luck.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:25 PM

Hey Rocky,

Its been awhile since I have been on the HI since seeing you last because of going to school up here. I did end up catching a couple of nice stripers above the chute but it was real tough. I really wanted to get down there tomorrow but they are running water too. Hope you are doing well. Would really like to book a trip with you sometime if I can hang on to this Christmas money.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Looks like they're going to be running one genrator most of the day tomorrow I wouldn't want to be wading near the dam or immediately below the weir dam. I've been in it when the water comes up on you and it can get a bit hairy. I fished Sunday, right up to the evening generation, and managed to get out from under the bridge in time to watch the weir disappear.

The first half mile or so below the weir is reachable by trail but the depth change from no-flow to flow is about two feet of. So it may not be all that deep in most places but the flow would be enough to discourage me. I waded out at a spot about an eighth of a mile below the weir (there's a large downed tree at the edge of the stream bed) and with little or no flow I was up to my waist just about five feet off the bank.

Farther down stream, along route 44, on what's known as the river road section, there are some more fishable areas. I've not tried them at peak flow, but they look like they might be workable - hard workable, though.

The other concern is that the only thing that seems to be working consistently right now is small black midges. You'd have a hard time drifting midges in a bit of flow. So you're left with throwing streamers mostly from the bank or some large boulders you might be able to climb out on.

If they weren't generating, I'd *say go! The SoHo is a blast Good luck with whatever you decide, and let us know how it went.

Gerry Romer
"I've since learned to use the best knot rather than the one that uses the least line. I go through more tippet material but compensate by drinking cheaper whiskey. One must have priorities." ... Art Scheck
Old 01-11-2007, 07:43 AM

MMorgan, let me nail a lid on this matter right at the last minute for you and any others who might be reading this post just so they will know in the future about giving any possibility to the thoughts of trying to wade any of these tailwaters that are generating at this time of the year. The HI is the only one that I would even consider and that would be only if you have some experience on that river. All of the others are very dangerous when TVA has water turned on. Do not even consider it and this goes for anyone who is reading this and might consider it in the future. If you stepped into the South Holston and got your feet taken out from under you ( which is a high possibility), your chances of recovering, would be slim!!! There is no fishing trip that is worth risking your life. There will be another day to fish.
It may be too cold for this today, but consider the delayed harvest waters of Paint Creek or the Tellico River. You might even want to consider Anthony Creek. It's a good Spring Creek. Be safe.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:47 AM

Quote:
MMorgan, let me nail a lid on this matter right at the last minute for you and any others who might be reading this post just so they will know in the future about giving any possibility to the thoughts of trying to wade any of these tailwaters that are generating at this time of the year. The HI is the only one that I would even consider and that would be only if you have some experience on that river. All of the others are very dangerous when TVA has water turned on. Do not even consider it and this goes for anyone who is reading this and might consider it in the future. If you stepped into the South Holston and got your feet taken out from under you ( which is a high possibility), your chances of recovering, would be slim!!! There is no fishing trip that is worth risking your life. There will be another day to fish.
* It may be too cold for this today, but consider the delayed harvest waters of Paint Creek or the Tellico River. *You might even want to consider Anthony Creek. It's a good Spring Creek. Be safe.
* *Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
2nd that!

Grumpy
Old 01-11-2007, 01:12 PM

3rd that!
Old 01-11-2007, 01:30 PM

Amen Hugh,

Several years ago I was fishing the White River at a fairly wide section. *I knew the generation schedule,but became over zealous at the prospect of catching one more big brown. *The fishing was "on"
and I completely forgot to monitor the water level. *I heard my buddy yelling,turned and saw that the water between me and him was high and fast. *Panic set in and I got baptized but recovered quickly,only to lose my fly box with about 70 new flies. *After a difficult struggle, I made it to the bank wet,tired and extremely cold. *There must have been a happy fly fisher down stream with a free box of flies that day. An extremely lucky,foolish and wet fly fisherman was up stream. *I stay paranoid now on all tailwaters and get out well before generation time depending on how far down stream I am. *

Worth noting- My buddy taught me to fly fish and also saved my life that day!

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 01-12-2007, 01:13 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I grew up fishing the HI and can wade there on two generators with not much of a second thought. I decideded that it wasnt ment for me to go fishing yesterday so just laid around the apartment. I was really wanting to try a new river out but like you guys pointed out, I am not familiar with these other waters and so I didnt want to risk my life. I really appreciate the heads up and maybe I'll be able to get some more time off when the water is cooperating

Old 01-12-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. *I grew up fishing the HI and can wade there on two generators with not much of a second thought. *I decideded that it wasnt ment for me to go fishing yesterday so just laid around the apartment. I was really wanting to try a new river out but like you guys pointed out, I am not familiar with these other waters and so I didnt want to risk my life. *I really appreciate the heads up and maybe I'll be able to get some more time off when the water is cooperating
That thought of you wanting to try it popped up in my head a few times yesterday, a little worrisome even though i don't know you.
Years ago when i was younger & still dumb, i'd try those things, normally woundup in "not so good" results.
Being older & still dumber than a rock, i'm thankful to be here, look forward to the next safe trip.

Grumpy