Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 01-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Default Re: drinking water

Quote:
I came around a corner and out of nowhere there was a pack sting of horses IN THE RIVER
Randy... ! That reminded me...Daniel and I were talking about this thread the other day at the shop and he reminded me of a Pur water filter poster we had at one time. It was a picture of a coyote...in the stream...peeing!

Yeah...filtered water is the only way to go!

Paula
Old 01-14-2007, 12:39 AM

Last year I had some some reward money from REI and some birthday money left over so I splurged on a MSR Miox Purifer, $120. Some of the best money I have spent. you can stick it in a pocket takes seconds to use, It even kills the realy bad bugs in 30 min. I also Have a MSR waterworks pump, but it does not kill all the bugs and takes up a lot more spaceand take alot longer to use. Even though the ad says the MIOX does not leave an after taste, to me it has a little bit of an bleach taste. But it is nice to only carry in one bottle. as long as you have good batteries and salt you are good to go.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:22 AM

One book I read spoke of one of the greatest sources of pollution in park waters as being from wild or feral pigs loose in the park.

I had one experience with water from Peru. I didn't drink anything but bottled or filtered water, but forgot when brushing my teeth and used tap water. It was well several month after this before Iwas able to eat or drink anything without rish of it passing immediately through me system. The point being ti doesn't take much to infect a person and if ever a ounce or prevention is worth a pound of cure, this is the truth concerning park water.

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 01-14-2007, 01:40 AM

Vern,

The MSR Miox is a sweet little purifier. *The chlorine taste comes from the salt used. *Salt, water and the little electrical zap it gets from the batteries creates "a sodium choride brine solution" hence the chlorine taste. *I suppose thats way better than a case of the squirts or worse.

* Worth mentioning- The whole "Clorox "craze thing- Research states that it disenfects the water but does not kill all the bad stuff... So it looks like filters are the way to go(some are better than others). But for emergences, it could mean the difference between life or death.

DryFly1

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 01-14-2007, 01:59 AM

Pmike,

Sounds like you had a good case of Dysentery probably. Nasty stuff..

Old 01-14-2007, 02:44 AM

mmmmm deer carcas water! *there is an interesting new product called lifestraw. *its a big straw that you drink through that will filter out all kinds of nasty diseases,cholera, dysentery, whatever. *it only costs $3. *that's it, and will last a full year of daily water consumption. *the company that made these designed them to be shipped out in mass to third world nations and impoverished areas where people often die from drinking the water. *when I was reading about this I thought I'd found the perfect solution, only catch, one of the very few things it will not filter is giardia. *look at the picture of this thing, it pretty neat. *www.lifestraw.com
Old 01-14-2007, 08:55 AM

Great link, when debating which water purification system to employ

http://usachppm.apgea.army.mil/WPD/CompareDevices.aspx

* If link isn't clickable- highlight,copy and paste into google or other.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:00 AM

Did you know that Dysentery was the number one cause of death of soldiers on both sides in the Civil War?

Always filter/treat your water.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:40 PM

I did not know that. I would have assumed it was gunshot wounds.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:31 AM

I carry a small bottle of 78 % calcium hypochlorite "chlorine" when I go on long hikes. It does the same thing that the bleach, sodium hypochlorite, does but without having to worry about spilling the bottle, plus its free from work. It only takes one or two granules per litre of water and after 30-45 minutes later, just like coming out of the faucet. I am pretty sure that it will kill anything that is in the water because cal-hypo is the same thing used in municipal water systems. The cal-hypo and sodium hypchlorite are both oxidizers which is like the MSR Miox system which produces its own chlorine, brine, solution to remove contaminents. I've got some good charts that I can show you that shows the kill rate for chlorine at different ppm of chlorine but I dont know how to post them on here.