Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 01-17-2007, 09:37 PM

Default Re: drinking water

I am not saying it is right, but I have been drinking water out of Park streams for over 50 years and have never got sick. I am a lot more careful now since there are so many more people using the Park, I will usually drink out of feeder streams where there is no human activety above.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:52 AM

Hi Dryfly1,

You mentioned that it sounded like I had a case of dysentary (sp?). I am not sure waht it was, never went to Dr. but probably should have. It hung on for months. I did receive a brochure upon my return to the US that mentioned a cholera epidemic and read that about that time there was indeed an absolute epidemic of it, about 1991.

From that experience I would certainly suggest that the risk far outweighs any reward when it comes to drinking unfiltered and untreated water.

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 01-18-2007, 12:54 AM

Has anyone heard of some kind of "ultraviolet" water treatment? I saw this mentioned on another site ans the fellows said it worked well as best they could tell, but I have not heard it explained, how it works, or how to do it

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 01-18-2007, 01:32 AM

Pmike,

This link should shed some "light" on it- all puns intended

DryFly1

http://www.triangularwave.com/f3.htm

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 01-25-2007, 10:38 PM

I decided to Delete the last post. I should have looked at what was else was on the link before I posted it! Whoops...

DryFly1

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 01-26-2007, 01:18 AM

One of the guides in the park told me about when he got Giardia, not by drinking the water. He got it from doing something I used to do all the time, holding his wet tippet in his mouth while changing flies. I was a hiker before I started into FF, I like the PUR Hiker as well, but I think the MSR Waterworks works faster, and is easier to maintain. Not to mention that a ceramic filter lasts a lot longer than the paper/carbon filter. That being said, I have one of the water bottle filters, that I just stick in my vest. Not very safe when I fall in though.

later
dan
Old 01-26-2007, 02:12 PM

All I know is I would not wish the end results on my worst enemy. I caught a case of something fishing in Brazil and again two years later in the Patagonia. Both times the doctors said it was from the water but I did not drink it in either case. I concluded that I too had been contaminated from putting the line in my mouth while changing flies. Unfortunately, I didn't learn my lesson and continue to do it.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:34 PM

Thirsty?

I use a bottle called "safe water anywhere". *It has been great. *I have drank from the wonderful tasting Smoky Mt streams to out west and in between. *It is a great idea. *

Enjoy the steams like you never have before and never go thirsty again!

Flat Fly'n

PS. *Giardia is real and not only out west

The add says.......
New, high-efficiency, disposable Pre-Filter removes 98% of sediment, sand, mud and algae above 10 microns. The Pre-Filter fits over the Primary Filter and substantially extends the life and efficiency of the Primary Filter. Depending on water turbidity, it will filter up to 25 gallons (over 100 refills).

Bacteriostatic Primary Filter prevents bacteria, mold and fungus from growing or blooming within the filter core itself.

The Primary Filter removes microorganisms including 99.9999% of E. coli and other bacteria and 99.98% of protozoa including Giardia and Cryptosporidium. It also removes 95%+ of VOCs, pesticides, herbicides and petroleum by-products leaving you with safe, odor free, great tasting water. The Primary Filter will filter over 100 days (50 to 60 gallons) of drinking water for an individual.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:10 PM

I had a bad experience with some water once from a river in GA.

Flash forward 15 years to last spring. My good fishing buddy and I got turned around and ended up stuck in the woods overnight. Not really a big deal, since we knew where we were( just not the quickest way out), but I ran out of bottled water about 2pm, and we were in no-trail land....it was probably 79 degrees and we were sweating all day from rockhopping these big boulders, etc on our way downstream. At any rate I was reluctant to drink the water from his purifier thingy - he's got one of those ultraviolet canister things. About midnight, and with cramps starting to set in, I knew if I didn't drink something I was going to be in real trouble, so I gathered up my courage and drank two big bottles of treated water. I did make him go through the purification process twice for me though - just so I could feel better about it. Neither of us got sick, and we made it home ok...but I was probably as close to dehydration as you could get without needing medical attention. I don't know the name brand of the bottle he had, but if anyone wants it, I can find out. Supposedly, it's a high-tech, throughly tested purifier that the military or NASA or someone like that uses.

You can be sure next time I'm going on a day-hike and bushwhacking into unknown territory, I'll have one of those bottles with me. ANd more food....we got mighty hungry too, but I reckon I could live off my fat for about 6 months. haha But good , clean water is a must. Don't risk it. It ain't worth it.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:28 AM

I know the person that Paula mentioned in her post several weeks ago and can tell you that there are few things worse than a case of Giardia. A filter is a good idea, and over the long haul are not that expensive (much cheaper than bottled water). The other good option would be a "Camel Back" type system. The weight of the water is close to the body so it really isn't that noticeable. I figure they work just fine for people on lengthy bike rides. Luckily, I rarely worry about drinking water while fishing - my cooler full of water and ice is only a few of feet away at all times.