Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 01-20-2007, 02:01 AM

Default Re: Best boat

Thanks for the explaination, Billy. I know I lost money because a dealer was too proud to admit he didn't know what he was doing. I don't build or sell jet boats so I certainly don't. I have read where prop tunnels are ill suited for jets but from what you have written, it's all up to who's building it, or, setting it up. It's surprising how limited the information is on the subject in Tennessee, or the South for that matter. From my own personal boating, and experience with dealers, I have come to the conclusion that only a special custom-built boat will cover our waters most efficiently. When I say custom, I mean starting from scratch. Seeing input on the subject is enlightening. That's why I'm surprised when someone is put off by opposing comments. I've made embarrassing mistakes on the subject many times and relish solid information because of that reason. Others take offense. Thanks for knowing the difference.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:46 AM

WOW 8-)
I THOUGHT THAT MY KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE WAS UP-THERE!
NOT SO, COMPARED WITH YOU GUYS....
THINK THAT I WILL PURCHASE A 13' RIVER HAWK AND GIVE IT A TRY....
$800.00 IS A SMALL INVESTMENT, AND I CAN STILL USE IT ON THE CHILHOWEE AND CALERWOOD FLAT WATER.....EVEN IF IT IS TOO SLOW FOR THE CLINCH AND CANEY FORK.
I REALLY ENJOY AND FEEL BETTER AFTER YOUR FEEDBACK.
THANKING YOU AGAIN,
OLD BEAU
KNOXVILLE
Old 01-20-2007, 09:58 AM

Old Beau, to give you an idea of the flow and hp regarded to the clinch. It takes approximately 45 minutes on a 2 turbine flow, in a 15ft drift boat w/ 6hp (one person sitting in the front to help keep the front down), from peach orchard to the bottom of millers island :-?. Obviously the riverhawk’s hull design is totally different than a drift boat, but with a 4hp on a 2 turbine flow, I don’t believe that it would be much quicker going up river.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:13 AM

PRETTY SLOW..!!!!
MAYBE I CAN TROLL A 3" RAPALA BEHIND.....
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT.....
Old 01-20-2007, 09:11 PM

The big problem is finding solid information on the subject. Jets are a touchy subject it seems. For every opinion there seems to be an opposing opinion on the subject. For example this excerpt from one of the few articles written about jets on the web. http://www.sonarsearch.com/Jets.htm

“The mistake that I nearly made in the boat selection was that I almost ordered the "tunnel hull" version of the MV1860. *Both SeaArk and Alumacraft offer several of their jonboats with a "tunnel" built into the rear portion of the hull so that an outboard can be mounted higher on the transom, drawing its propulsion water from the tunnel area. With this arrangement, a conventional outboard can be mounted so high that only the skeg on the motor projects below the plane of the bottom of the boat, deriving shallow draft while on plane. I figured that if the tunnel was good for conventional outboards, it would be great for jets. WRONG! During my research into jets, I found two dealers who had sold tunnel hulls and jets to customers who ended up with pitiful performance from their boats. *I finally located a mechanic who could explain why. The positional relationship between the water intake foot of a jet outboard, and the trailing edge of the bottom of the boat hull is very important to the proper operation of the jet. A smooth flow of water from under the boat is imperative. *The tunnel hull, while on plane, presents a very disturbed flow of water to the jet intake.”

Every article I’ve read and every person I’ve talked to on the subject stressed that a smooth flow of water to the jet was of the utmost importance! Some even went as far to cut the aluminum keels off the bottom of the aluminum boats.

Supreme addressed this problem by raising the back of the boat up about 3 or 4” and adding a "jet" tunnel". Yes the bottom of the transom is about 3 or 4” higher then the bottom of the boat and the jet foot is even with the bottom of the jet tunnel. It makes it a pain to get water out of the boat when its in the driveway but *when it’s in the water it keeps the jet up above the bottom of the boat and protected to an extent.

In this picture you can see the way the bottom is angled up at the transom.

In this picture you can see the tunnel
Old 01-20-2007, 09:55 PM

mike you are right , hot all prop tunnels work with jets that is why a dealer with expert knowlege aboutjet setup is so important. i only one such person who has this experience .he has advised several dealers all over the country about proper set ups. he will not except boats by his boat builder if not correct. i have bought 2 boats from him on both occasions he ordered my boats on both turned down the first of each order. because they didn't meet his demands. my boat is xpress 16ft. 50in bottom with prop tunnel and[ the ribs on this boat run lenght ways which is a great improve in ride performance ] with 60hp yamaha 2 stroke w hydrolic jack plate. thetunnel has about 1 in leading edge past tunnel you can bend this edge so you can achive proper water flow.to the jet without cavation. when on plane the motor runs about 3.5 to 4 inches above the bottom of the hull. the reqason for 2 stroke over 4 stroke is 2 reasons faster rpms quicker on plane and less weight. bigger gear case allows for larger jet pump better performace this is my third jet for the river. i have owned 2 other jet grive pleasure boats one was a 19ft boat with 455 olds engine w berkley jet.top speed was in the 70 plus mph range.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:27 PM

Fowler,
you have to elaborate on your boat idea