Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 01-13-2007, 11:44 PM

Default furled, tapered or bimini twist leaders

OK, what are the major differance between tapered, furled and bimini leaders? Is worth the extra money to change to furled or bimini twist. If your are dry flyong and using a furled leader do you need to switch to a tapered leader before fishing a mympth?
Old 01-14-2007, 03:02 AM

Default Re: furled, tapered or bimini twist leaders

a furled leader is actually cheaper because it lasts a very long time. I used one for about 4 months straight, and I was fishing 3-4 days a week. I took it off a long time ago, forgot about it and found it last week in my vest pocket. put it back on, perfect. I would suggest everyone try one out, you'll probably like it. if you search the web you'll find some pretty detailed instructions on how to make them yourself. I've never made one, but may give it a shot one day.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:54 AM

Thanks I think that i will try one.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:08 PM

Hello ttas67,

I sometimes think we fly fishermen are a bit obsessed with anything new and in my case especially something I can make myself. I have built my own rods for many years, hand tied my leaders and of course tied my own flies, thought many leave something to be desired.

Now I find your suggestion on furled leaders and of course feel the need to try and make some. After searching the web I have found many methods for making them and quite honestly even better reasons to makes them.

Now I have another way to spend time waiting for spring and even better something new to try out when it gets here. Since I fish a lot of small dry flies these should be great!

Thanks for the information, gary <*))))><
Old 01-16-2007, 05:48 PM

I've always just used tapered leaders. TTAS, where did you get the furled leader that you were using?
Old 01-16-2007, 09:43 PM

how about posting that web site where you found the instructions on making your own.....

thanks
buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 01-17-2007, 02:35 AM

I bought it at LRO, but unfortunately they have since quit stocking them. but I must admit, thinking about it, it looks like the leader is actually braided, but I know the package said furled. LRO does stock a braided orvis leader. geerona, if you do end up making some, I'd love to try one out! I'd build one of those leader boards, but I have neither the tools nor the time.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:18 AM

Hello ttas67 and buckeyetrouter,

I searched yahoo under "furled leader" and found several sites with instructions. The one I am going to try is listed under...a case for furled leaders... on the first page of sites. Not being a computer expert it is hard for me to explain it other than it also was www.midcurrent.com but I was unable to find the same info there. Probably my fault. There are several places that give instructions and most appear to be pretty much the same with a few different twists, no pun intended. I also should warn you that if you search on furled "leaders" instead of "leader" this site does not come up.

I am going to build the leader board this week and make an attempt. The instructions are somewhat detailed and a little confusing at times but I intend to muddle my way through them. After reading several opinion on furled leaders I think they could be beneficial. I have a hard time finding my dry fly many times and I think these could help. Almost all the opinions give credence to their durability. Something I read makes me believe that braided and furled leaders are not the same thing but I can't tell you where I read it now, one of the problems of getting older and not paying attention when I visit many web sites I guess. If I get one that appears to be correct I will let you know ttas67.

Best Wishes to all, gary <*))))><
Old 01-18-2007, 01:33 PM

found a web site that show how to tie them. http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/henk/henk1.htm looks a little tough to me. But i may try it.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:35 PM

vern, the site you posted is the one I've seen before. very detailed and looks complicated, but I bet once you get the gist of it , it's not too hard.