Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 01-18-2007, 07:03 PM

Default Re: furled, tapered or bimini twist leaders

Vern,

I checked out the site you posted and found it is very similar to the one I thought I would use. The methods are very similar only the dimensions for the board are different. I may get real bold and use a combination of the two when I make the board tomorrow. I want something about 7.5' long before I add my tippet.

The more I read the instructions the easier it sounds although I still find it a little confusing. I'll post something in the next few days if I get one made.

I just love the opportunity of making something new and useful as well. Of course I could just make a huge mess and pitch the thing in the barn! Been there, done that!

Regards, gary <*))))><
Old 01-18-2007, 07:08 PM

Oh yeah,

The webiste I am looking at is http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/g...ed_leader.aspx if you want to check it out.

gary <*))))><
Old 01-18-2007, 07:44 PM

Hey Chuckwalla,

Does the ring cause the end of the leader to sink when fishing a dry fly? I like the idea of a ring and saw one with the ring somewhere in my web travels.

Nice Brittany! I had one for years and she was the bird craziest dog I ever saw.

Thanks for the info, gary <*))))><
Old 01-18-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Hey Chuckwalla,

Does the ring cause the end of the leader to sink when fishing a dry fly? I like the idea of a ring and saw one with the ring somewhere in my web travels.
Not that I can tell. I always put a little Dave's on it after dopping the fly.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:06 AM

Hey Vern and ttas67,

Well, it took a little time but my first furled leader looks pretty darn good to me. I just need to make my loops on each end and it should be complete. I may try one of those small rings on the small end if I can find some. It is really not that difficult. I did not use the instructions I was going to use since it made a 10' leader and I wanted one closer to 7' so I used the instructions you suggested Vern. This thing is very supple and has no memory that I can see. Nice transition in taper also. Can't wait to give it a try.

Gor for it, gary <*))))><

Old 01-20-2007, 03:53 AM

what material did you use for the leader?
Old 01-20-2007, 08:29 AM

ttas67,

I used Trilene XL (extra limp) in 4#. Since I use small dry flies most of the time I wanted something small in diameter. If I find some 2# I may try it.

I would like to make a few more today but will be leaving home soon to help move our daughter and son in law and already had plans for the evening so that shoots today. Maybe Sunday after church I can get back on it.

If I can figure out how to send a PM to you I will do that Sunday or Monday.

Best Wishes, gary <*))))><
Old 01-20-2007, 09:00 AM

Also, I did not use the 3 cup hook method of building the 2 sections on the outside hooks and transferring them both to the middle hook. I followed instructions on the other site and used only the middle hook. I am sure it was much easier and did not present any problems in the twisting of the 2 sections and furled just like it should.

g <*))))><
Old 01-20-2007, 04:15 PM

Just recieved a couple... Have not fished yet but they look great, i think i will like them. When I get time I am going to build a rig to try to make them. $30 for three leaders is a little steep. I played with one, found an old spool of orvis Bimimi tippet and it dawned on me, Leader with, tippet with loop, no surgens Knots. Life is great but maybe too costly. Wait pre tie some tipit with loop knots?
Old 01-20-2007, 04:18 PM

Lokking at the Bluesky leader I noticed that the top loop is round, i think that they most use a dowel rod instead of a hook, it is also coated with superglue.