Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-14-2007, 07:59 PM

Default cane rods

have become a lover of cane rods--recently bought a "brookie" made by high sierra--it works real good--it is awfully short--but casts good --i think he made the "Brookie" for the the SMokies because he has never fished the Smokies--i find short rods difficult to roll cast--i like rods 8ft'ish,medium to medium slow--fiberglass'ish---may be way off here,but i think you need a certain amount of leverage,so as to feel the rod loading,longer rods do this,i think.who builds the best cane rods in Tenn,the Smokeys,,any one know?
Old 01-15-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Re: cane rods

lauxier,

There are several excellent cane rod builders near you. Rob in Berea is one. I'll find out if he makes rods for sale. In fact I'm sure he's a member on this board. Charlie Downs and Doug Pape in Lexington are excellent. Betcha they are members of this board too. If you are interested I'll find out if they make rods for sale. I've got a Rod made by Bob Cloyd from Lawrenceburg. Love it. He spends a lot of time in Colorado now remodeling a castle on a trout stream. There's even a fellow who makes cane rods in Corbin but I know he doesn't sell them yet. Tennessee is loaded with excellent bamboo rod makers. I have two made by Jim Beasley from Crossville. I have another one made by Walter Babb. I know for sure he sells them and his waiting list is a little less than a year. We usually send customers to him because we know he is an active maker. Stan Smartt makes fine rods but again, I don't know if he sells them now. He and Walter live near here. Walter works at our shop as an instructor. If you want a Winston or Orvis just let me know and I can handle that.

Just give me a call Larry and I'll help you find someone. Also, thanks for being our customer and friend.

Byron
Old 01-15-2007, 06:46 PM

Larry,

I forgot to mention this. If you have one made you should meet with the maker personally and cast some rods, just like buying a graphite rod. They can make one to suit your casting style and other preferences such as length, roll casting and things like that. If you work with Walter he could meet you here at the shop and bring some. By the way, I have an old Orvis Flea made in 1968 and it is superb as a short dry fly rod. They can be found used but I don't think that is what you are looking for. I also have an old Orvis Far & Fine. If you could find one of those used it might be what you are looking for. Next time you are in town let me know and you can test it out. Then you could have one made just like it or find one used.

Byron
Old 01-16-2007, 08:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT

Hey,
what does a cane rod cost ya these days? Id love to have one to chase mtn brookies with...

MTN_TRT
LIFE IS GOOD

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 01-16-2007, 08:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to ZachMatthews

You may find this interesting reading.

Choosing Cane

Zach
Old 01-17-2007, 05:04 PM

Cane can be had from $150 to $20,000+.

We will have the Cane Gathering in Townsend, April 20-22 with our HQ at LRO. You are welcome to come and try rods and swap tales. Normally 10-20 cane experts attend.

Bamboo rods are a disease... so watch out, they can ruin a marriage. (**** they fish well...)

Ralph