Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 01-15-2007, 10:00 PM

Default Chest pack

Hello all! I've been struggling with what to do about a backpack for awhile now and i finally settled on a osprey pack. This is all good and well, but i need a chest pack that i can wear while the pack is on in case i'm feeling particularly adventurous. I've narrowed it down between two, fishpond's windwalker (http://www.fishpondusa.com/windwalker.cfm) and william joseph's mini II chest pack (http://www.williamjoseph.net/packs.php).

Was wondering if anyone has any experience with these or would just like to share your opinion. They both look like great products and i've heard great things about fishpond products! Thanks alot. Have a great day.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:10 PM

Default Re: Chest pack

hey mtnman........i have the windwalker, Paula helped me pick it out this last August......and I absolutely love it, it is comfortable, well constructed and light. There is good storage for a small chest pack and versitility with removeable fly storage .........I would feel comfortable recomending the windwalker.....

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 01-16-2007, 07:21 AM

I have been using the Orvis Safe Passage DS Hydration Chest and Day Pack for years and love it. Gets me to all those blue lines with all the gear needed.

Features:
Two hydration packs in one: A 14-pocket chest pack with hydration system for the all-day, hard-core hiking fisherman or, with front tackle modules removed, a hydration day pack with waterproof pocket to protect a digital camera or wallet. In its own sleeve, the neoprene-insulated bladder holds nearly half a gallon, and is easily cleaned via water-tight zip bottom closure. Front chest hydration pack modules have 7 pockets each and can be removed and placed in the pack for travel. Fly rod tube holders (tubes not included). Hydration pack has padded fully adjustable shoulder straps.

There are many new options out there today that weren't avaliable when I bought this pack, anyhow, just giving you what works for me.

Dryly1

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 01-16-2007, 07:48 AM

My wife gave me the Fishpond Double Haul system a couple of years ago. It is the Windwalker w/ backpack. I very seldom use the backpack but the chest pack is sweet. I highly recommend it.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:41 PM

The windwalker does look like a nice pack, i'll probably get it. Knowing my luck fishpond will come out with something better as soon as i get mine.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:08 AM

I got the Windwalker for Christmas, but I haven't been able to use it yet. Can't wait to try it out.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:57 AM

I bought the William Joseph Gear Bag Chest pack a couple years ago and liked it well enough that I got one for both my son and son in law. It does have a small back pack and is hydration compatable. Like anything else everyone has their own favorite.

I'm guessing I would be just as happy with the fishpond model. The best thing I have found about chest packs is that I am forced not to carry all the stuff I did in a vest, though God knows I try!

regards, gary <*))))><
Old 01-29-2007, 10:02 PM

Just an update, i got my fishpond shooting star chest/backpack combo in the mail today from LRO and man, what a nice outfit. I've always heard that fishpond had nice stuff but this went above my expectations. I can't wait to test it out on the water this weekend. Both the chest pack and the backpack have a whole lot more pockets than i thought and it is padded well and seems to be extremely(!) comfortable. Thanks to everyone on the board and the staff at LRO for pointing me in the right direction with this pack, it is top notch and i think i'm going to be purchasing alot more fishpond stuff!
Old 01-29-2007, 10:46 PM

mtnman i think you will be very very pleased with your new fishpond product. i have the fishpond double haul which i have been very pleased with but have looked at the shooting star several times. good choice
Old 01-31-2007, 09:21 PM

I have the fishpond san juan chest pak that i picked up from LRO. I was a little worried it wouldnt hold quite enough stuff at first but i was wrong about that. This is the perfect day trip pak, holds everything i need and does not make me feel bound up. They have me the fishpond sagebrush mesh vest waiting when i get over there again and i think it will be perfect for me on longer hike in trips this spring if my boys dont claim it,lol. Now i just need a cpl of those C&F fly boxes and i will be set.
Matt