Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 05-12-2007, 10:50 PM

Default Tried Out the New Rig

A few weeks ago, I ordered a 9wt TFO from LRO, along with an Orvis Mid-Arbor reel, some 9wt line, and some saltwater flies. This is all a bit new to me; while I have been fishing down here for years, I've never tried with the fly. In the last 20 years or so, going after the redfish with the long rods has really taken off; a number of guides specialize in such trips. Anyway, with my appetite whetted by the wonderful trout fishing in the Smokies, I decided to really concentrate on getting the "cajun slam" on a fly - speckled trout, redfish, and flounder, hopefully all on the same day. The reel and the flies came yesterday, and the rod followed today.

I ordered some takeout from our favorite Chinese place down in Mandeville; on the way, I decided to baptize the new outfit with a few casts off the Mandeville seawall into Lake Ponchartrain. The water was still a bit cloudy - the south wind was piling up on the shore, and that area isn't really ideal for topwater action. I wasn't counting on catching anything - just wanted to try things out. Here are some pics:

The new outfit

And here's where I was casting

No fish, but once I get a few minor repairs done on the boat, I'll have plenty to post over the summer.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:30 PM

that's a pretty big river! just kidding. nice setup.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:37 PM

LOL...pretty warm, too...the other day with my thermometer, the surface temp was 84...I think that's a bit above the threshold for even brown trout .

It's interesting, though - ever since Katrina, I've noticed a lot more people fishing down there on the seawall - they're catching some fish, too. Now, I've heard stories about the "glory days" along Lake Ponchartrain, when you could get your limit of speckled trout any time you felt like it, or you could throw out a cast net and get an ice chest full of shrimp, right along the seawall in New Orleans. It isn't quite like that now, but after years of decline, the lake is definitely coming back. It's probably the number one spot in the state for big speckled trout - some people are specializing in trolling along the bridges with lead core line - that somehow doesn't appeal to me. There are also some big tarpon in there in the summer, along with some good sized sharks, so it can be interesting.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:28 AM

Hey ijsouth,

Can't tell you how many times I have been in that area and wanted to wet a line. May have to look you up next time I find myself in your neck of the woods.

BTW- Nice setup! Looking forward to the pics of the first fish on the 9wt...

Mark...

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 05-13-2007, 08:47 AM

Come on down...it isn't called the "Sportsman's Paradise" for nothing. There is so much water to fish; I actually prefer getting up in the small bayous, lagoons, and duck ponds in the marsh, as opposed to the open water fishing. Most people this time of year like to head "outside", out in the outer bays for the specks. That can be a lot of fun, but you better have a boat that can handle some rough water - our water down here stays shallow until you get quite a ways out in the gulf, and it can get very choppy in a hurry.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:37 AM

Ian,

I've got a rod just like yours. I love it. I have a couple of 8 weight rods I've been using for years but I moved up to the TFO 9 and like it better. I hope you enjoy it and the reel. Thanks for thinking about us for your purchase.

Byron
Old 05-14-2007, 09:13 PM

Well, I'm not done - I noticed a few scratches on my 3wt from my last trip to the mountains; I think I need a backup. I saw this one TFO 2wt - I'll email Daniel and ask if y'all have it in stock. No sense in shipping it - we hope to be up there the second week of June. BTW - I really love the rod tube it came with - very nice...almost too nice for my filthy boat.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:59 AM

Hey ijsouth,

I tried the "scratch" theory on my wife. I said,"hey honey,I have a scratch on my 3wt,I think I need a 2wt rod as a back up". She looked at me as if I were losing my mind!

Maybe I should have tried the,"Hey honey, I'll give you a $200,00 shopping spree at Victoria Secret if you let me get a new 2wt? As long as I don't have to go!!!

Mark...

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 05-15-2007, 01:21 AM

LOL....but in all seriousness, I've wanted to try a lighter rod - I really like the smaller streams, and I've heard too many horror stories about broken off tips, etc.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:20 PM

Wow! $200,00 - that is a lot of small garments! Did you mean $200.00 or $200,000? I hope I don't have to offer my wife $200,000 to get a new rod.

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.