Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-16-2007, 09:50 PM

Default fly fishin' in march?

hey, my first post, originally from WI,

Wondering what the weather is like down there during early march, and is the season open?

Just looking for somewhere to get a line wet during break, and I've heard there are plenty of pretty brookies in small streams.

thanks much,

kirk
Old 01-16-2007, 10:27 PM

Default Re: fly fishin' in march?

Welcome to E. TN and the LRO board! March in this area is usually good, with plenty of days for good fishing. The first mayflies will be coming off the water and unlike the west, we don't have to worry about snow melt. As far as being open, it doesn't close. You could head to either the mountains or one of many great tailwaters in the area this weekend and be on fish (weather dependent). Anyways, welcome and I'm sure this will be one of many similar posts. The guys on this board are good fishermen(generic, sorry Paula, and others) with a passion for the sport, the fish and the Smokies.

Brad
Old 01-16-2007, 10:39 PM

March is a tough month to forecast, although this whole winter has been kinda weird so far. March can be warm and offer some very good fishing, but it could also be extremely cold (at least for this part of the country) and snowy. The biggest snowstorm i've ever experienced came in march of '94 i think, where we had a blizzard with about 15" of snow and 3' drifts. For the most part though, especially considering how warm this winter has been, things should be at least decent, if not good. You should have a good amount of water flowing with all of the winter rain.

Hope that you get to come down here and fish, it is truely one of the most amazing and pristine places i've ever seen. Oh, and while you're down here, you can't forget to stop in at <insert plug> LRO!
Old 01-16-2007, 10:53 PM

I think March is a tough month everywhere...unpredictable weather, and the potential for strong winds. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the latter part of February...I'd settle for cool, but dry.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:46 AM

I don't know what you guys are talking about, because come march, I'm going to be casting dries and hooking into many nice fish.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:07 AM

Hey waiter-Hold the hail,wind and highwater please:
Come March, I'll be standing knee deep in some of the most magnificent God created Real Estate known to man tossing bushy flies to eager free stone trout! 8-)

DryFly1

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)