Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-17-2007, 07:42 AM

Default Good backcountry site to camp at.......

Hello all! Come spring, my father and i are planning to do some backcountry camping and fishing somewhere in the smokies. We went to hazel a while back and we absolutely loved in and unfortunately it has taken us this long to get back to doing it. Anyways, my dad's knees aren't exactly the greatest so we can't really hike to far, but i was wondering if there was any suggestions as to where we could go? I would really like to go deep in the woods, but i'm thinking between hiking in and fishing for a couple days straight, then hiking back out, his knees would only be able to handle about 2 miles. I know that this would still offer us some solitude and some good fishing, but i'm not really familiar with all of the campsites. Any help would be appreciated, thanks alot.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Good backcountry site to camp at.......

go to this link, it shows all the back country camping sites in the park.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisi...trails2005.pdf

Old 01-17-2007, 10:03 AM

CRAIG, I just came from this site as well and you have at least two options to camp if you want to fish this area, which is located on the lower part of Abrams Creek. One is Little Bottoms and the other is on Rabbit Creek. You have the option of The Rabbit Creek Trail or The Little Bottoms Trail. There is real good fishing if you choose the Little Bottoms Campground and fish upstream and you do it early in the season. It's more rugged if you take the Rabbit Creek Trail and come in from Rabbit Creek. We're talking about 2-3 miles on either trail.
Another option is Boomer Den, which is close to Max Patch. You can drive right to the camping area and then fish downstream as far as you like. The farther you go, the more rugged it gets. Good luck.
Hugh
Old 01-17-2007, 10:32 AM

Those look like good options, i'll have to look into that. Thanks for the suggestions. I would also like to fish deep creek some on the nc side, but don't know which one would be better.

By the way, i'm also planning on coming up one weekend soon to come fishing with you hugh. As soon as i can get away from work for a little bit, i'm there!
Old 01-17-2007, 11:56 AM

Craig, if you are going to fish the backcountry of Deep Creek, you might want to check on a horse back trip to get in there. It's a long way back in there but it's not real rugged. Campsite 60 is a good base to work out of and fish farther up the creek. Bryson Place is a little farther on up the creek.There is some real good fishing there also. Don't try taking your Dad in from ther upper end. It's tough! Good luck on your trips and let us see some pics after you have made them.
Hugh
Old 01-17-2007, 01:32 PM

My favorite backcountry site is Rough Creek above Elkmont...total mileage is a little over 4 miles but not a bad walk.....you can break down the walk in with some fishing since the trail follows the trail(really a gravel road for all but the last half mile)....good fishing right at the campground.....you are near some newly opened brookie water and close to the forks of the river with the Fish Camp Prong....some really great dry fly water.....possible to score a "slam" fishing withing 1/2 mile of camp....