Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-17-2007, 07:03 PM

Default Question about the summer tubers

How big a problem are the tubers during the summer months. I know there is a lot of miles of the Little River. Where do they congregate mostly? Where would be a good place to go on the Little River to fish during these times? I know around the little motels they tend to splash around.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Question about the summer tubers

You have to go up higher during the tube hatch. It works out anyway because that's where you will find the cooler water.

All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand.

50.67% of all statistics are made up.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:41 PM

easttnsalmon,

I've never found the tubers to be much of a problem as griff described. *The problem I have found is families with kids(non-fishing families). *I have literally had families come within 10 feet of me and start throwing rocks and playing in the water! *I generally just wish the little tykes well and move on.

Also(and some of you may have experienced this) if you fish abrams, always be prepared to have rocks chucked on you from above . Every time I fish there kids and adults throw rocks,I quess they don't realize we are there. *

This is why I now seek out more remote locations.

As a side note: Always be prepared for the Paparazzi- I try to look my best and hope I tie into a big one!

I was fishing little river above elkmont this past November when a group of about 13 people stopped to watch me and take photos while I was stalking a hole of water. *I was fishing a dry(yellow stim) and placed it exactly where I wanted it. Fish on! *13inch brown!!. *They all started clapping? *My moment of glory in a smoky mountain stream...

DryFly1

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 01-17-2007, 11:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

The vinyl hatch seems to be confined pretty much to the lower elevations - say, below 2,500 feet. But you'll be amazed by the various hatches in the higher elevations. Of course, you'll find the plastic hatch (two-liter variety being the most obvious) at all elevations. But in the upper elevations you'll run into the aluminum hatch (in the form of abandoned lawn furniture and such) and various forms of the cotton hatch (in the form of abandoned beach towels, usually on the side of the stream, and ball caps and t-shirts, usually in the stream). The cotton hatch seems to be greater in the upper elevations. I suspect it has to do primarily with the stream gradient. Vinyl doesn't thrive in plunge pools. The shed cotton husks would seem to indicate that the gradient in the upper elevations lends itself to some of the more death-defying humans. Once you've seen them in action (generally screwing up the fishing 100 yards above and 100 yards below their location) you'll understand the aluminum hatch. They seem to be to exhausted by the end of the day to haul all that aluminum back up the trail to their truck.

Gerry Romer
"I've since learned to use the best knot rather than the one that uses the least line. I go through more tippet material but compensate by drinking cheaper whiskey. One must have priorities." ... Art Scheck
Old 01-18-2007, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Once you've seen them in action (generally screwing up the fishing 100 yards above and 100 yards below their location) you'll understand the aluminum hatch. They seem to be to exhausted by the end of the day to haul all that aluminum back up the trail to their truck.
LOL! Around here, we have an aluminum hatch too - here, they don't want to weigh down their ski boat or jet ski, or whatever other craft they use to chase their perverted activities. I've often thought a few strategically-placed mines would be very effective, and entertaining ('jes kiddin).
Old 01-18-2007, 10:57 AM

On the subject of an aluminum hatch, my son in law and I made our first trip to Michigan's AuSable river last fall, actually the south branch since it holds brook trout as well as browns and is much easier water than the main body for a first timer there. When we arrived at the first bridge/parking area we noticed 20-30 canoes but no other vehicles. Thought that was rather odd since none were secured in any way. Just as we got our waders on and rods lined up the cars piled in like the morning after Christmas sale at Wal-Mart.

We hustled down stream and managed maybe 30 minutes before the hatch began. A group of Boy Scouts and dads out for a final outing. Most were friendly and courteous but some were in for a long day from the way they managed to get into every tree limb along the bank.

The fishing was over since they were floating the water we intended to fish for several miles and upstream was all private property.

I guess you'll have that, gary <*))))><
Old 01-18-2007, 11:47 AM

The Tube Hatch

Time Of Year: June through September, but the legendary hatches are in late June and early July.

Preferred Waters: Slow, fishy-looking stretches of rivers and quiet, flat pockets of water.
This species occurs throughout the East and Midwest and even in isolated pockets in the West. It's found in rivers of all sizes and temperatures, including the mighty Mississippi whose vast mud flats put this hatch--literally--on the radar. Stillwaters from tiny spring ponds to Lake Erie can also have good hatches.

The tube hatch begins in early June in the southerly trout waters. It moves to the northern part of the Upper Midwest through the next several weeks, peaking in the last half of June and first half of July in most of the famous rivers. It lingers into August in the coldest headwaters of this region, as well as in the Northeast, where it is more restricted to stillwaters.

Because of easy access and the slack substrate requirements of tubers, most rivers (even outside the heart of their range) support good populations. Others have only a few places, a pool here and a run there, with good tube activity. *If you wish to look for this hatch away from well-known tubing rivers, you cannot just pick from the map at random. Instead, check with fly shops and follow every whispered rumor. No other hatch creates so much mania on so little water.

Hatching Behavior
Time Of Day: Usually dusk, dawn, midday, sometimes late at night, anytime there is fishing activity.

Habitat: Attaches itself to fisherman, living off their peace of mind.
The tube emergence begins at dawn and is most intense then, but it often continues to provide unfishable action for hours, even past midnight.

There is disagreement between authors about the manner of emergence. Some say these tubers take a long time to struggle free from their shucks.
Shuck: The shed exoskeleton left over when an tuber molts into its next stage or instar. (Most often it describes the last nymphal or pupal skin exited during emergence into a bare-footed, beer-drinking adult.) Others say the process is very fast. So the choice to fish a Natural Light emerger pattern is your gamble, but most people fish this hatch by imitating the Twinkie duns. Everyone agrees that the duns ride the surface for quite a while before falling off and make a lot of commotion. My observations are mixed: I have seen the trunk-wearing nymphs twitching for a while below the surface without breaking through, making commotion that looks like the swirls of feeding killer whales, but once the Twinkie duns start to show they're up and out quickly.

Although the dialy timing of this hatch is predictable, the days when it will occur are not. One day may be so intense the fish can't find your fly among the tubers, and the next day can seem identical but be completely devoid of them. Hot, humid days are best, especially when it's very cloudy. There are old-timers who can feel it in the air when it is coming, but nobody has figured out how to put this sixth sense to words.

Sometimes on cloudy days these Twinkie duns emerge in the afternoon and the fishing can be horrible. Everybody pities the unlucky angler who stumbles onto the rare "Only Day I've Had Off In a Year Daytime Tuber Hatch."
Old 01-18-2007, 02:47 PM

Great piece of wisdom...Now I have a different perception about the "tuber epidemic" that occurs every summer.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:31 PM

I wouldn't avoid the tuber hatch, there are some hawgs to be caught...last year below the sinks I almost landed a monster 30" + brown skinned, rainbow bathing suit wearing toddler named Brooke, on a tadem- rigged 5/0 RC Cola and Moon Pie streamer set up....had to throw 'er back cause she hung me up on a rock ...
Old 01-18-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
easttnsalmon,

I've never found the tubers to be much of a problem as griff described. The problem I have found is families with kids(non-fishing families). I have literally had families come within 10 feet of me and start throwing rocks

I was fishing below the Y one day and was hit not once but twice by a young rock skipper. I just laughed, but didn't hang around for a third.