Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-18-2007, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Question about the summer tubers

Fished up above Elkmont last year and I am sure I am in several differant vacation photo albums. Now why would someone want a picture of a 220# man wet wadding putting greenweenies in the trees to act as decoys for inch worms (Griff's suggestion). I am no Brad Pitt by any means. But didn't see any vinyl hatch that far up. But did pick up some mono fillament hatches on my way out.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:59 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't avoid the tuber hatch, there are some hawgs to be caught...last year below the sinks I almost landed a monster 30" + brown skinned, rainbow bathing suit wearing toddler named Brooke, on a tadem- rigged 5/0 RC Cola and Moon Pie streamer set up....had to throw 'er back cause she hung me up on a rock *...
Jermz that's a good set up.... *Another favorite is the bud light popper with a BeadHead slawdog softhackle dropper. I won't even give out my secret fly for the bikini hatch
Old 01-19-2007, 10:08 AM

Stretch,

Your secret fly for the bikini hatch wouldn't happen to be a little green$$$ at the end of your line?
Old 01-19-2007, 10:14 AM

Well Stretch based on what I've seen you can keep you bikini fly. Most don't make it to the good stretches of water mainly because they are to overwieght and watching the 6 offspring from ealier reds. That would be like fishing in Oak Ridge for two headed fish. If I had to guess on a pattern I'd say it's not so much on the pattern but presentation! You know how you step out of your 1980 full size 4 wheel drive pick um up truck with a rifle rack hanging from the rear window. I'd say you have to get out with a rebel hat on, a white t-shirt or better your chances with a dirty wife beater. As you exit your monster truck, at least carry the attitute that it's the baddest thing on four wheels, You must reach in to the bed of your truck to get a 12 pack of beer or bring the same cooler you used to store your catfish in last night loaded with a pack of dogs and box of moon pies, but loaded mostly with the cheapest nastiest beer you can find...9 out of 10 would be Natural Light or Paps Blue Ribbon..If you bring Hieny's you'll be looked at as a sissy boy! Corona's will work depending on the species this is a high end beer and will produce a less than desirable catch. Make sure as you decend to the waters edge you load your mouth with the most rediculous hunk of the nastiest bit of chewing tobacco and speak in the ancient native tounge. Sounds alot like ebonics mixed with alot of profanity. If there are kids around yell at them like your dog....This produces an effect on the bikini breed something to the effect of the water being turned on (generating) on a tail water....Sparks thier interest and gets them feeding...Once at the waters edge remove your shirt to expose the distinquished tan lines and remember sun tan lotion is for sissy's, make sure to put your hat back on displaying that rebel flag. Now here is the key to presentation. Get drunk, don't get in the water, yell obnoxious profanities and pick a fight (can be with a woman) but a man will produce better results. Usually if you pick a fight with a woman then your day has in most cased produced quite a few good catches because the woman you will probably be fighting with is your wife, well in most cases EX-WIFE.

Ohhhh, I'm sure we could all talk about this matter in greater detail but I think everyone has covered the basics. On a more serious note It's not so much the tubers it's the amount of traffic through townsend in general...Vacationers and out of towners are the biggest problem...Making it to just about every section of water in the park to take pictures, skip rocks, through bolders, stomp around, yell, and otherwise play at or in the water. Most people will stand over top of you taking your picture and gauking at how strange it is to see some1 whirling a line above their head. I myself have to admit it is pretty neet to see an angler at work but you will find that with everything in life their is someone out there that doesn't know how to, in this case, spectate a sport.

Some of the good runs will vanish in a vast array of people. So yes, higher elevations will work but if you want peacefull fishing I would look at a hike in trail..Keep in mind that Abrams will be quite busy due to the falls not to mention the regular cades cove traffic!
Old 01-19-2007, 11:54 AM

Stretch,
You'll have to show me that tie at the next get together

Yeah, the lower runs are indeed overrun in the warmer months, and I stick to higher elevations...but if I get the itch, I usually fish the lower reaches early or late in the day....abrams can surprisingly afford you "on stream privacy" in that while the traffic is nasty getting there and the trail crowded, it also keeps people off the water because getting there is the pain and so not as many anglers out and about...so if you brave the traffic (or just get out there early enough to avoid it) you kinda can be hidden in plain sight...
Old 01-19-2007, 12:09 PM

Just when you think you've seem it all...... *Earlier this month on the middle prong of the Little....fishing upstream, heard a noise, rounded the bend....saw a radio controlled 2' long power boat doing figure 8s in the hole I was planning on fishing.....just moved on. *