Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 01-18-2007, 06:35 PM

Default tying flies vs fishing

I know that most serious fly-fishers tie their flies during the winter months, and fish during the spring/summer/fall months. My question is "how many would rather tie flies than fish or vise versa?" I can see that tying flies can be a real satisfying. A real art form!!
Old 01-18-2007, 06:49 PM

Default Re: tying flies vs fishing

I would rather fish, but tying flies is an enjoyable way to spend some time when I can't be fishing...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 01-18-2007, 06:54 PM

Fly Fish - bar none! With corn... he he

DryFly

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 01-18-2007, 06:59 PM

I'd much rather fish. Tying, for me, is just for creating something new or churning out enough patterns for a trip. Ask me to tie a few dozen catskill patterns and I'll probably have a going to the dentist look on my face.

Kudos to those that enjoy it and make it an art. The patterns some of these guys produce are beautiful. It is definitely an art form!
Old 01-18-2007, 07:38 PM

fishing by far.....tying is enjoyable and relaxing, but it is just a prelude to the end result which is time in the great outdoors.....

just my thoughts

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 01-18-2007, 09:52 PM

I would rather be fishing than tying, but between work and family I actually spend more time at the vise than I do on the water. It works out fairly well, my father ties up rods, I tie flys and my little brother fishes with both. I wonder who the smart one in the family is?
Old 01-19-2007, 03:19 AM

Quote:
I'd much rather fish. *Tying, for me, is just for creating something new or churning out enough patterns for a trip. * *Ask me to tie a few dozen catskill patterns and I'll probably have a going to the dentist look on my face. *
I hear that! Now nymphs and midges, no problem. Can crank those out, but dries, I simply don't fish them enough. But to answer the question, I'll tie something up the day before I'm going out, or in the morning before work... The pattern might work, but the next thing you know you've got 40-50 different midge patterns in the box
Old 01-19-2007, 12:08 PM

As much as I'd like to be more creative at the vise, I just don't have the time...tying is more of an ends to a means for me at the moment, its more convenient to crank out what I need when I need it (plus a feeling of accomplishment of catching fish on my own ties)..as far as the theory of tying in winter and fishing the rest of the season doesn't really apply hereabouts - The serious fly fishers here are out in the winter 8-) we live in a year around fishery, you can usually find something to fish year round if your willing to layer properly and be smart with the changing winter weather when it calls for it, rarely do you get a full blown trifecta : blown tailwaters, blown smokies (abrams included), and messed up dh (yes, even gatlingburg)- there is water somewhere if you're willing to look for it and travel...
so my box stays pretty bare cause everything is a la carte becasue when i do have the free time, I want to fish - hitting the vise the night before is the usual m.o.