Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-19-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Turn in Litterbugs

Finally, *a way to fight back

I'll try to remember to post this again the closer we get to summer.

Evidently, plans for a website where citizens can report littering, is also in progress .

http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/news/2007/011807.htm

Old 01-19-2007, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Turn in Litterbugs

Rainshaker,

I could not agree more! Just today I saw several "buttheads" throwing cigarette butts out the window. In addition to that, how many times have you seen cars in the "mountians" throwing out trash!!! I don't get it!

Will put that # on speed dial... DryFly1

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 01-19-2007, 09:19 PM

Early last spring I was down by the GSMNP entrance fishing the Little River when I noticed a bigpile of garbage along side the river. I looked up to notice a drainage pipe that came under the road and on the other side, there it was. The GSMNP welcome sign. Didn't take a genius to figure out that tourons likely, after posing for their family photo, picked that spot to empty out their cars in the drainage conveniently located behind the sign.

If that isn't the purest definition of Irony.......

Here's the other website I mentioned in my earlier post....

http://www.tdot.state.tn.us//environ...ion/litter.asp

Old 01-19-2007, 09:58 PM

Finally a way to vent my frustration when I see people littering. I'm sure I'll be dialing in quite a bit.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:45 PM

Great Idea, I hope it deters litterers, but I don't think it will be enforced. I commute to DC every day 32 miles, takes three hour one way some days. Yes three hours. VDOT has HOV lanes set aside for three riders or more to encorage commuting. For a long time the only people taking advantage of the HOV lanes were the violators (tax paying citizen wanting to use the roads they paid for). It got so bad; signs went up, radio annnouncements etc., "REPORT VILLATORS CALL 800 XXX-XXXX". Violator would get a stern letter. Three letter and some offical action would take place !!!! This lasted about a six month. Anyone that had a grude, with a co-woker, neighbor was reported. I never violated the HOV lane but was constantaly being report by by a disgruntled empolyee. I know a guy who every other day would report his ex-wife just for the heck of it. Needless to say the system was overwhelmed and the stern letters no longer are sent. Today if the police catch you; 1st offence $75 plus court cost and 2 points 2nd offence $190 plus court cost and points, Third $390, fourth within 3 years $900 and points, 5th $1500 court, cost points, probation.

I love East TN and support any effort to keep it as Beautiful as posssible. For some people a threatning sign is all it takes, for other it dosen't matter. But money out of your pocket gets everyones attention.

I hope it works
Old 01-19-2007, 10:57 PM

Do you guys remember the post about my project? if so I studied this too. even if the litter is away from the river it will eventually reach it by erosion and other causes. The GSMNP is already bad enough, I don't want other rivers like it. If it keps going it won't bother you guys as much as It will me. When you are all gone and I'm old there will be no fish left! That would make me mad. Also sewage is bad too. a river in Pegion Forge is so dagerous you can't toush the water! That is not good. Great Idea!
Giantfish
Old 01-20-2007, 02:09 AM

For now, the anti-littering campaign seems to be a positive idea although I can see how such a system might be abused. As someone suggested ealier, I too plan on putting this number on speed dial. Every summer The Little River turns into a floating Landfill<<<----slight exaggeration. At least now there's a way to report those we catch in the act. In the meantime, I'll keep carrying out (like a lot of good anglers do) the cans and wrappers I find along the streams and trails.

I'd like to encourage everyone to tell someone else about the program. Send a link to someone who also loves being on the water.

Fish on!
Old 01-20-2007, 03:20 PM

Though the tubers dont really bother me much while out fishing and i feel it is their right to enjoy the streams in their way too, in the summer parts of little river have busted tubes, sandles and beer cans and such strewn all over the place. I feel like the tube/float rental places should be some what responsible for doing what they can to keep the main floating places cleaned up. If nothing else they should help organize a volunteer clean up crew several times durring the summer.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:01 PM

that is a great idea to suggest to the tube outfitters, it would only benifit them in the long run ........

Does LRO have a day set aside for FF to do river litter patrol? Would anyone be interested in something like this, say clean up patrol on a Friday or Saturday then FF on Saturday or Sunday?

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 01-21-2007, 12:20 PM

We as flyfishermen and women can help with this too. I have been fishing the Smokies for more than 35 years and with the increase in the number of fishermen, I have also seen an increase in the amount of discarded tippets, fly lines, etc. on the banks. Not only should we report litterbugs, we also need to set the example.