Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-21-2007, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Turn in Litterbugs

Good point on the discarded FF material. I would bet money that it isn't anyone on this board that is contributing to the problem. We are way too earth conscious! With millions of people visiting the park each year you can bet that some are not so concerned about the health and vitality of our mountain streams and trout population. Bottom line- Pack it in-pack it out!

O, and keep up the good work packing out other peoples litter.

DryFly1

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 01-21-2007, 03:15 PM

This has been a bother to me from day one coming to this part of the country. I pick up trash on my city street regularily and I have to pick up litter in my drive way daily in Knoxville. On the drive to the mountains in the wintertime you have to look at a littered highway all the way in to the park and beyond. I carry a plastic bag with me and pick up what I can safely reach, while I am fishing. I feel like I am in the minority and it is an uphill battle. I used to drive down to Hiwassee to help the TU chapter down there with their annual clean up and it is a lost cause. It is a good thing to do but if we don't instill the same attitude in to everyone who visits these areas, then it is almost impossible to accomplish much. I had to resort to settle for a less ambitious plan. I pick up what I can and try not to be upset or let it ruin my day when I see all the junk stream side. I got really upset last fall when I stopped at Elkmont and fond no less than eight beer bottles stacked against a tree trunk right where people park. It is just a wonderful sight the moment you step out of your vehicle. I'm not trying to sound negative and I believe we could have more clean ups and I will do what I can to help. I just want everyone to be realistic and know that change the littering habit is not going to work unless laws are strictly enforced and the manpower is sufficient. In this day and age with budget woes all the time it doesn't look like it will happen any time soon. We are somewhat limited in what we can do without law enforcement.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:10 PM

I know y'all get upset when you see litter up there in the Smokies, and for good reasons. However, be thankful that, for such a popular area, there isn't more trash. On the roads in to a lot of places I fish, I see discarded fridges, stoves, etc...and that was BEFORE Katrina. It is truly the "Sportsman's Paradise" here in Louisiana, but one thing I am ashamed of in my state is the cavalier attitude towards litter...it's everywhere, and it's always been that way.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:08 PM

I'm afraid you are right. I do know some places that have changed for the better. I don't know what happened in certain parts of KY, but when I'm comparing certain counties in eastern KY to how it was in the late eighties, it is a lot better now. I don't know if they have begun enforcing their laws better or what. It was so bad that one day when my wife and I was driving down a county road we had to slam our brakes in order to not run in to one fellow who had stopped in the middle of the road. Guess what he was doing? Dumping a black plastic bag of some sort right in the ditch in plain view. I hope it wasn't a body
Old 01-23-2007, 03:48 PM

"Didn't take a genius to figure out that tourons likely, after posing for their family photo, picked that spot to empty out their cars in the drainage conveniently located behind the sign."

I'm surprised to learn that locals don't litter.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:40 PM

here's an obscure idea...

BE A PART OF A SOLUTION...

IF YOU WANT TO ARGUE OVER WHO LITTERS AND WHO DOESN'T , THEN YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM. IF YOU THINK THERE IS NO GOOD SOLUTION THEN AT LEAST TRY TO SUGGEST ONE OF YOUR OWN

(Sorry about the caps, but in this topic I felt they were needed)
Old 01-23-2007, 05:00 PM

Jack M, I have seen from other posts that you are not a local. I would invite you to come to one of the cleanups that are periodically conducted in the park. I fish the Smokies nearly year round and the amount of trash gathered outside of tourist season is minimal compared to the Spring and Summer months. I now carry a 20 gallon trash bag in my fly vest and have never returned from a trip that it is not at least a third full. Although I won't type in all caps to get me point across, don't be too critical until you have spent a day hauling trash.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:43 AM

I guess that's why Phil want's to raise gas & tobacco taxes, to pay for a program that won't work
If they enforced litter laws to begin with, we wouldn't have this problem. Now, somone is going to call a # to report a cigarette butt being thrown out, someone sitting in a nice office will answer, get the tag #, send them a litter bag & ashtray, remind them to use it, that one phone call will probably cost $20,000 a year & i have no idea how many folks will sit around handling these calls :-/
It don't add up

Grumpy
Old 01-24-2007, 11:52 AM

This is me throwing in the towel.

I can't remember why I thought this anti-litter campaign was any better than the old one. Looking back, I think maybe it was because the new program demanded public participation to be succesful, as opossed to a single government agency being asked to police every corner of every county in Tennessee---that was the old me. I now understand exactly what level of apathy any program (government or otherwise) is up against and realize that the majority of us would rather trash a new idea than be faced with changing our own attitudes.

That must be how the worst offenders think: One cigarette butt won't cause a landfill, one raindrop won't cause a flood, one person can't make a difference.

* <<<-------------Iron Eyes Cody
Old 01-24-2007, 01:11 PM

There is a clean up on the little river every spring. Most of the TU chapters in the area help out as well as other conservation minded groups and individuals. I have not seen the date published yet, but it won't be long.