Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-24-2007, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Turn in Litterbugs

The LRTU and Smoky Mtn. TU chapters usually have their annual LR cleanup day in March. It starts at the Entrance to the Park below the "Y" on LR and goes all the way through the Elkmont campground. I have seen well over 2 longbed pickup trucks full of garbage in bags piled high in the bed, that is picked up each year. I have picked up everything from portable grills stashed under tree limbs to a womens purse that was probably stolen and discarded out a window. The worst is the ever unpopular dirty diaper *I know that its not just tourist who litter these streams and I'm sure most of the MB members realize this also. I don't know if this program will work with the "call to report" offenders, but maybe it will educate some to the problem of trash in the Nat. parks.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
This is me throwing in the towel.

I can't remember why I thought this anti-litter campaign was any better than the old one. Looking back, I think maybe it was because the new program demanded public participation to be succesful, as opossed to a single government agency being asked to police every corner of every county in Tennessee---that was the old me. I now understand exactly what level of apathy any program (government or otherwise) is up against and realize that the majority of us would rather trash a new idea than be faced with changing our own attitudes.

That must be how the worst offenders think: One cigarette butt won't cause a landfill, one raindrop won't cause a flood, one person can't make a difference.

* <<<-------------Iron Eyes Cody
Yes, i am trashing the new program, all i can see is a lot of $$ being spent on something that isn't enforced in the first place, kind of like game laws.
I spend a lot of time on the Interstate, witnessed coffee cups & who knows what else being thrown out with law enforcement vehicles right behind the offender, were they pulled over, NO
Our system is failing us right & left, deep down, i hope this new program works, i know i get tired of picking trash out of my fields & i only have 2 neighbors that live past me on a dead end road, it's against the law for me to shoot them, i'd go to jail.
They can throw their trash out & if i carried them to court, they will get their wrist slapped

Grumpy
Old 01-25-2007, 11:23 AM

I'm with you Grumpy, to **** with it all....

Here's a little diddy that I hope will brighten your day: *Everybody sing along....

I see trees of green, red roses too.........I see them bloom for me and you......And I think to myself ..........what a wonderful world....... I see skies of blue and clouds of white ....... The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night ..........And I think to myself what a wonderful world.........The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the sky ...........Are also on the faces of people going by ............I see friends shaking hands saying how do you do ..............They're really saying I love you..........I hear babies crying, I watch them grow ..............They'll learn much more than I'll never know .............And I think to myself what a wonderful world .........Yes, I think to myself....... what a wonderful world *
Old 01-25-2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:
i get tired of picking trash out of my fields & i only have 2 neighbors that live past me on a dead end road, it's against the law for me to shoot them, i'd go to jail.

Thank God some laws are still enforced. I'd hate to see Murder go unpunished----even against littering violators. *On the other hand, if you want to talk about something as serious as stealing another man's horse, that's a different story entirely.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:48 PM

kytroutman,

I don't follow your logic. Wouldn't you have to agree that the number of visitors to the Park in the Spring and Summer is much greater than other times. That alone accounts for greater litter. Locals visit more then as well. I promise you that blaming the litter on "tourons" won't do a darn thing to get it cleaned up, nor to keep it from occuring. I don't think my failure to travel 500 miles to help on a stream clean-up disqualifies me from being critical of someone who assumes litter was made by a tourist, nor from being critical of the use of the insult "touron" to describe them.

I organized a trip to the Park last April for 8 out-of-state anglers. We're doing it again this year. We left no litter, took no fish, and thoroughly enjoyed a NATIONAL park treasure. Collectively, we probably pumped over $5,000 into the local economy.

I'll make this offer to you: come to Pennsylvania for a fishing trip, treat the wild areas with the same respect we treated the GSMNP and you don't have to engage in any stream clean-ups, nor will I refer to you as a "touron." Deal?
Old 01-25-2007, 02:01 PM

Just for clarification:

I think I was the one who initially used the term "touron." My use of that word was not an attempt to single-out any one group of people. I only blamed "tourons" since I found a mysterious accumulation of trash directly behind the GSMNP welcome sign.

For the sake of argument, we should use the term "touron" to describe any person who throws trash to the ground while inside the park boundary.

Thanks, I hope this helps *
Old 01-25-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Just for clarification:

For the sake of argument, we should use the term "touron" to describe any person who throws trash to the ground while inside the park boundary.
Even if they are a local?
Old 01-25-2007, 02:17 PM

I think it's important to first define the word:

"Local"

Then we can assign a phrase to represent locals who also litter inside the park boundary. Right now, I'm leaning towards the term:

"Loron"

Thanks, I hope this helps *
Old 01-25-2007, 02:28 PM

Jack M, I travel to Spring Creek and Penn's Creek occasionally (at least once a year). Although I don't trash, I have picked up trash on both streams left by someone else. I was not singlling out the tourists but do recognize that there is littering by the locals and these same locals pass through the park nearly every day of the week, 12 months out of the year. If the litter was based on the number of passes through the park, it would be littered much more by the locals than is apparent from the accumulation of trash during the "off-peak season". All all the places I fish (I maintain annual non-resident licenses in WV, PA, VA, NC and TN), the trash issue is more prevalent in the Smokies than anywhere else. This is due in large part to the overall number of visitors the park receives. In a nutshell, anyone using the outdoors should tread lightly and leave it cleaner than it was when you got there, whether a local or a tourist.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:33 PM

Then we are in agreement.