Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 01-21-2007, 01:06 PM

Default post intervention tailwater rod...

My Name is Leinart and I'm a flygear-aholic...

(crowd responds: hello Leinart)

It has been a full 6 months since my last rod purchase. Yes there are currently rods on my kitchen table, rods standing in the corner of the room, and at least a couple of assorted bamboo rod sections scattered on the kitchen counter-not to mention two rods full rigged and assembled out in the truck. I just can't help it!! I am now interested in/curious about a graphite 9' 4wt for tailwater fishing with 7x tippets but, would first like to hear what folks tend to use on E TN water such as SoHo, Clinch, and Hiwassee. Are you using 4 and 5 wts mostly or I've fished 2-7 wts here but, feel I should zero in on a rod and stay there for at least 2 trips in a row. Sort of practicing a "commitment" thing

My mountain rods will still be cane. This is strictly a tailwater rod question

Thanks!
L.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:57 PM

Default Re: post intervention tailwater rod...

My Dearest Leinart,
After hearing your compassionate speach regarding your heart felt addiction, I'd like to help. There is an empty void in my heart that wishes to aquire any rods that may need to be taken. Temptation! Yes, that's it! I would sincerly like to take temptation away from you in the form of an address and a key to your front door. My dear man having two rods already rigged in your truck, surely this is a disease. I will help aleviate the disease, and help you in your recovery. As you may know admitting you have a problem is a start, but this must be followed up by ridding anything that may tempt you.. So if you may, dear sir, leave a box number and key to your residence so that I may dispose of (Oh yes) your temptation and place in the hands of someone in dire need of such items.

Your Dearest Freind,
Fishermansfly

PS- If married the wife will approve!
Old 01-21-2007, 01:57 PM

HELLO LEINART

I pretty much came to my own preference recently that a 9' 4wt would be the best bet for a non streamer for the area tailwaters...light enough for the tiny flies with enough back bone to handle the larger fish you'll find yourself battling on ligther tippets....not wanting to spend a fortune I went with a TFO professional and wanting the portability went with the 4piece model...great action and great price, lifetime warrenty - can't go wrong...and it doubles as a great high sticking rod for the park as well...
Old 01-22-2007, 02:05 PM

what a coincidence. I've been thinking my next rod purchase will be a tailwater rod. I own a t&t helix 9' 6wt that I got for the clinch, but this is a thunderstick. too much rod for me. I bought it on ebay, so unfortunately I wasn't able to cast it first. I thought about selling it, but I think I'll keep it around as a warmwater rod. but I've been contemplating what rod I'd like to use for tailwaters, and I think a 9' 4wt would be perfect.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:30 PM

Leinart,

I can empathize with you on your "problem". I'm afraid to say I'm experiencing the early stages myself.

Regarding the rod question....this is exactly what I have been looking into over the past month or so. After casting one, I've pretty much settled on the St Croix Legend Ultra 9' 4WT. Seems like the perfect rod for throwing those tiny midges on the area's tailwaters.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:04 PM

i`ve only fished the soho for 2 1/2 days and used a orvis clearwater 9ft 5wt.i used 6x leader(9ft)with about 3 ft of 7x floro tippet all weekend with very minimal breakoffs.all on the hook set.i fished alot of 18 to 22 midge imitations,some small emergers,double rigs with indicaters,and size 10 buggers with good success.the 5 wt will help on the indicater fishing and wind.i now have a 9ft 5wt 4pc TFO TICR rod that i love.a little more power but a great tip.i still alot of 7x and have really enjoyed this rod.i like a little power and this rod fits the bill for my tailwater choice.lifetime warranty too.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:07 PM

Big Thanks All!!
L
Old 01-22-2007, 05:36 PM

Check your PMs...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 01-23-2007, 12:20 PM

Hello again Leinart, Talked with you the other day at LRO. I use a St. Croix LU 9ft 3wt that is overlined with a DT 4wt line.
I works great on the tailwaters and the mountains. I too have been pondering a new rod purchase. I really want a Walter Babb 7ft 4wt cane rod. I have always wanted a handbuilt cane rod for the park streams. I will need to get rid of some of the other rods lying around first. If I could afford both, I would also get a Sage SLT 9ft 4wt. They are pricey, but are very smooth and beautifully made as well. The Scott G-series are very nice as well. Good luck with the search!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * Troutman "Fellow gear-a-holic"
Old 01-23-2007, 12:48 PM

Plateau Angler and Troutman please check your PM's
L