Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 01-22-2007, 05:47 PM

Default sipsey on saturday

they finally shut off the water this past weekend and we got to fish a little while.my friend jim got there a couple of hours before me but had`nt any luck.we finished the day catching 8 or 10 and missed or lost about that many.i caught some of the insects that were hatching and they seemed to be large midges(large for midges).i call them tennessee midges because i`ve noticed in the past at some of the tenn. tailwaters i`ve gotten to fish that their midges are usually larger than ours.the fish are really keying in on them and seems you have to match them pretty good to get any action.jim seemed to match them because he caught most of our fish.i had to pull out the secret weapon for my fish.its secret because i`m imbarrased to name it(peach egg pattern)but it will get bites.i`m going to tie some nymphs in peach,orange, and any other weird colors i`ve got so maybe no one will laugh at me fishing an egg pattern.
dalefish
Old 01-22-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Re: sipsey on saturday

Dale,
I find that my best color for eggs is a peach color called Oregon Cheese. How's that for Cheesy?!
Why be embarrased, you were creative enough to tie the thing on.
Best,
John
Old 01-23-2007, 09:53 AM

DALEFISH,

Thanks for the report. I have been wanting to get over to the sipsey, have never been there, even though it's in my home state. Weather and generation permitting, I plan to make a trip over that way soon.

I am also new to this board. Looks like a nice group of folks and a nice website/flyshop. I look forward to visiting/reading/shopping here.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:12 AM

hey cast,this would be a good weekend to fish,they`re stocking this thursday and this means usually more catching than fishing.good time to try out some flys that you need to get some confidence in.also we are having the first get together of the fly tieing club at the flyshop saturday night starting at 6:00 pm.come by if you can,everyones welcome.
dalefish
Old 01-23-2007, 11:44 AM

Thanks DALE,

Saturday does look like it may be good weatherwise (according to forecast), if they are not generating that day. I was planning on going there the weekend before last, but the generation schedule was not favorable.

I don't tie, but I would like to meet some of the folks from AL who flyfish there and in TN and NC. I will try to come up for the day on Saturday, hope to meet you and others on stream. 15 year old son may be in tow, may not (he doesn't always want to go anymore, you know how that goes). Dark red truck, Elmore County 29 tag, tan colored hat. Thanks again for the information.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:08 PM

one more cast,

Welcome to the board and website. Thanks for your comments. We look forward to serving you.

Byron
Old 01-23-2007, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the welcome Mr. Begley. Appreciate your sponsoring this site. Glad to see you are getting the shop online, look forward to seeing the rest of the flies.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:34 PM

My goal is to photograph 20 flies and prepare them for the site every day. I've got that down to about two hours. Daniel loads them on the site and types the description. I think we have around 500 more to go.

Byron