Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 01-23-2007, 08:44 PM

Default TN corn and marshmellow

I hear way back when they used corn and marshmellows to fish! TN is still doing it. I belive it is cheating and wanted to know what you guys remember and what you though. I say they just want a fish so they skip the fun part! the challenge is the best. If it is to easy it is not fun! I know some of you guys remember that and did you ever get into it?
Giantfish
Old 01-23-2007, 10:03 PM

Default Re: TN corn and marshmellow

I did for a few years when I was really young (9 - 13). Then my next door neighbor, an elderly man, introduced me to fly tying. Yes, I learned to tie flys before I even knew how to fly fish. Then one day, I thought to myself, I really should learn how to fish with these little things I am creating by the dozen ( I used to tie for a local tackle shop). Once I picked up a fly rod, I haven't been able to put one down. Since then, I have introduced probably half a dozen people to fly fishing, and they have all gotten hooked as well. Now if I can just find a way to count fly fishing trips as a business expense, I will be set.

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 01-24-2007, 09:00 PM

::::stepping on soapbox

Ok I just wanted to get something off my chest since you brought this up...My dad taught me how to fish the same way that his grandfather had taught him, with corn. I can remember my dad taking me up to Tellico, I wasnt old enough to handle the current of the Hiwassee, and taking all day to teach me how to fish with a spinning rod. Eventually I learned how to fish on my own and didnt need my dad standing behind me to show me how it was done.
After I was old enough to drive, I fished alot. Especially since wrestling in high school took up most of my summer and all of the fall and winter so deer hunting was out, so I fished as much as I could in the spring and early summer. I caught alot of fish on corn. Sometimes I would catch more than other people I saw fly fishing, and others I would get skunked. While I would be fishing I would notice other fisherman flyfishing around me and thought about how fun it looked, but because I didnt know anyone that flyfished, I never really gave it much of interest.
But that leads me to my point. I am a very courteous person and usually always speak to anyone that I meet on the water and always enjoy a conversation. But I started to notice that sometimes when I would walk up to a flyfisherman, and I was holding a spinning rod in my hand, that I would kind of get a cold shoulder and just seem that I wasnt good enough to be out on the same river with them. They seemed to have the attitude that Giantfish just mention, "I belive it is cheating" "I say they just want a fish so they skip the fun part! the challenge is the best. If it is to easy it is not fun" I do not believe that is a fair statement. Gaintfish, you have been blessed with a father that has taken the time to show you his passion and obviously you have shared in it as well, but should I be labeled a cheater because my dad taught me what he knows.
I eventually picked up a fly rod once I was able to purchase my own equipment and have been doing it ever since. I enjoy it so much, but every once in awhile I want to take my spinning rod out and play with it some. I just feel that sometimes flyfishermen catch a bad rap from other people because of the attitude that Gaintfish just mentioned. I thought that the whole point of this sport was to enjoy the outdoors and friendships that you made, not criticise for the means at which they go about.

:::::::stepping off soapbox

Gaintfish this is not directed to you in anyway
Old 01-24-2007, 10:46 PM

mmorgan,
I do have to tell you that I have friends who do not flyfish, and they have told me about similar circumstances. But, just to be honest with you, I have even walked up to other flyfishermen with my fly rod in hand just to have them turn their back on me. I am young, and I look even younger than I really am, and I always thought that had something to do with it. One thing that I have had people say to me regarding fly fishermen is that they believe we are snooty because lets face it, there is not much of a market for the low income flyfisherman. People can go buy a good quality spinning outfit perfect for trout for $60 - 70 including line. You are lucky if you can buy one spool of fly line for $60. I know quite a few flyfishermen who have over $700 in just one fly outfit. Would it be nice to have a rod like that, sure, and I am not criticizing anyone who has a setup like this or even multiple outfits like this. However, do I need an outfit like that, more than likely not. My dad and brother spin fish, and often use live bait or corn when trout fishing. I stand right there with them because I cherish my time on the water, and if that time is spent with family or friends it is just that much more precious. Our waters are growing ever more populated, and finding quality fishing spots that are not crowded is almost impossible. Spending that time being frustrated about the bait fisherman just downstream or across the river from you, is not my idea of a good time.

I hope I haven't stepped on anyone's toes.

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 01-25-2007, 12:23 AM

For a fisherman to have an ego goes against the very nature of the sport. This is not the NFL, NBA or pro hocky league. The rivers and streams beckon us with their call and quinch us with their beauty and bounty equally. Slick advertisements do strange things to men! I'll take a humble man/woman with a cheap rod and reel,can of worms and the unadultarated love of nature anyday over the slickest dude with "all the get up" and pompus attitude! I have both cheap gear and expensive gear and that just makes me another Fly Fisherman. Nothing more, nothing less. A fisherman is a fisherman. What makes the difference is how we conduct ourselves. By this I mean, streamside etiquette.

You want to see what it's all about? Get a can of worms and take a young child fishing for the day. That smile from ear to ear on his or her face when they have a dangling worm between their little fingers is priceless and defines the very essence of fishing. I think we can all relate to this in some fashion from childhood, whether we used worms, crickets or corn.

If I see you on the stream expect a wave and a howdy. If you don't speak back, well, you just don't hear the river yet.

DryFly1

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 01-25-2007, 09:20 AM

I could care less what you use to catch fish. I dont go flyfishing to catch fish, its just an added bonus. The thing that I do have a problem with is when a see someone with a stringer full of fish that are 6" long. Thats not even a meal! I will say though that I have never seen a flyfisherman do this. The only time I will even keep fish is if its on a winter stocking river in which the fish will most likely die anyways.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:23 AM

I taught my kids to fish that way, i'd use smaller hooks on account of the fish wanting to swallow the "bait rigs", as long as they were hooked properly, they were released, if they were hooked deeply, they wee kept & cooked.
It kept the kids on their toes, once a limit was met, they knew they were done, then they graduated to spinners & lures, got to fish a little longer that way, now they're flinging flies when they do decide to spend a day with me.
I have met a lot of conservationist using "hardware" over the years & met a few FF'man that gave us or anyone a bad name.
If it get's a kid started in the right direction, i'm for it, i won't always be here to help preach or save our fisheries & as the Lord knows, they were put here to eat in the first place.
BTW, Tennessee isn't the only place this is done
Old 01-25-2007, 09:44 AM

There's no stigma against bait fishing around here...especially in the warmer months, I think the majority use live bait - mostly live shrimp. My only problem with that is personal; I don't have the patience to be a good bait fisherman, live shrimp are so fragile (you better have a good aerator in your livewell, or they'll croak in less than a minute), plus at 20 cents a shot, they get expensive. I also have a problem putting a perfectly good shrimp on a hook, when it should be rolling in cormeal and fried.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:50 PM

Hey Giantfish,

Looks like you opened a real can of "corn", oops, I meant worms! HAHAHAHA!!

I'll bet a lot of us started out with live bait or corn or marshmellows or salmon eggs. I guess I fall into the live and let live category. If it isn't illegal don't worry about it. Just don't take more than you need because you can and treat a fellow fisherman as you would like to be treated. The joy is in the journey when it comes to fly fishing.

Grumpy is right on the money when he said to take a kid fishing and use whatever it takes to get them interested. I'll vote for that!

Regards to all, gary <*))))><

Old 01-25-2007, 01:09 PM

If it's legal,knock yourself out and have fun doing it.

I stick with the long rod but that's just my preferance.I know and fish with alot of hardware guys.