Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 01-25-2007, 09:43 PM

Default Re: TN corn and marshmellow

I would say it's not the fact of people fishing with their can-o-worms it's the matter in which some do it. My dad will speak up I'm sure of it. One beautifull day while fishing at the clinch close to the **** I was tying on a fly minding my own business when I hear PLOP, PLOP, PLOP Before I hear the next PLOP I actually see it hit the water less than 10 feet from me as the spin fisherman yells from the landing, where the stairs desend from the woods, hows the fishing...Mumble to self, better before you showed up... Just plain rude i thought to myself...As I try and make my way away from his newly aquired fishing hole, I watch him bring in about 20 good trout as he reels them out of the water onto the rocks, plays with them for about two minutes and creels non of them, throughing the lifeless fish to float downstream....UGHHH....Totally disgusted at this point! He proceeds to ask my brother in law if he wants to give his worms a go....Since he had been watching us not catching anything. Then he proceeds to have a 50 yard long conversation mostly with himself laughing about how his worms are basically kicking our but and how we should hand the flys and try a worm....Ohhhh just shut up already i'm saying to myself! So, basically in short our last hour and a half of fishing was spoiled by a guy with a can of worms.

So, by no means am I in any way saying that fishing with a can of worms is wrong or any less of a sport. I'm just saying whether you are fishing with a fly rod or spinning rod be mindfull of your surroundings. More importantly which ever way you choose to fish, while your fishing, don't make fun of those that aren't doing so well. If your in a spot and your catching lots of fish retire the spot for some one else....unless that is there is no one else on the water...Most importantly of all if you catch a fish, do so. Don't play it to death and don't play with it unless you intend on keeping your catch.

My 2 cents!
Fishermansfly
Old 01-26-2007, 12:00 PM

When I get that kind of stuff (although rarely to that extreme), I just tell them I've caught my share on live bait and don't think that's much of a challenge, since any five year old can catch fish on worms. *Call me elitist if you must. *I still spin fish for trout at times, usually on high water, but even then I choose not to use live bait.

It's about the process of fishing, not just harvesting numbers of fish. *I like to catch them on my terms, accepting that my terms are clearly more restrictive than theirs. *Since we accept the limitations of the sport, lets embrace them and not get defensive when others think we are crazy.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:34 PM

I spin fished all my life, until the first time I touched a fly rod. I had a lot of fun doing it too. now if I pick up a spin rod, it just feels foreign in my hand. like a lifeless stick. but fishing is really about having a good time, and however you catch them is fine. when I was a child, my father and I fished beaver creek in north knoxville all the time. for those of you unfamiliar with this creek, it's not a trout stream. just your semi muddy creek with a ton of bluegills. but we would often cut down our own cane from the banks of the stream, and dig our own worms, or catch grass hoppers or crickets if we could. there is something very pure about fishing this way, using the materials from the environment. when I think back about it all, those days were just magical. I love fly fishing as much as anyone could, but I'd trade it all to be 8 years old again sitting on the bank of beaver creek on a summer day fishing with my dad. If I ever have a son, before he learns to fly fish, he'll learn how to dig for worms.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:26 AM

It reminds me of Harley Riders... when I had my bike, you just never really felt good about waving at someone riding a rice rocket lol

I admit, the only time I get a little ticked is when I see an adult spinning with corn and keeping the fish... but each is to his/her own. Now if they are light tackle fishing and don't keep the fish, then i'll give them good karma points lol
Old 01-30-2007, 02:47 PM

OK Gaintfish Iam going to tell on you. I started Gaintfish out like everyone else Salmon eggs, power bait and red worms. The reason he finaly picked up a flyrod the first time was that his dear old moan started fishing instead of fixing his bird nest getting thios snags out and taking his fish off the hook. When that happened the old man stared skunking him. Of course it was because I was using a fly rod not a spinning rod (which he allways uses my ultralite instead of his). So i picked up his spining rod and handed him my fly rod. I proceeded to catch 3 rainbow on the same rig he had. But that started the ball rolling now he is additced, still to catch his first fish on a flyrod, but that will happen soon. I personaly have never used corn, allways heard as a kid in WV that trout can't digest it and it kills them, I don't know if this is true or not. But have caught more than my fair share on red worms.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:53 PM

Vern,

I hope his first fish is a 17", no 20" brown on a dry fly. That would make for some huge message board commentary.

DryFly1

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 01-30-2007, 09:53 PM

Oh don't worry my first one will beat my dad's highest record and will be world famous! ok a little exageration but I will get a big one!
Old 02-02-2007, 12:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

The thing that bothers me about bait fishermen vs. fly fishermen it the difference in streamside debris -- litter. Aside from the occasional leader and tippet material, I just don't see much litter deposited by fly fishermen. But every tailwater I've been on is always loaded with those little glass salmon egg bottles and little corn tin cans and styrofoam worm cups

Yeah, we do occasionally feed the trees, but I've watched FF'ers cross some pretty mean water to see if they can't get their fly back

I'll probably get flamed for this, but it's obvious to me that these guys (generically speaking) have no respect for the environment or anybody that might get in their way. And I just have no use for that.

Gerry
"I've since learned to use the best knot rather than the one that uses the least line. I go through more tippet material but compensate by drinking cheaper whiskey. One must have priorities." ... Art Scheck
Old 02-02-2007, 12:52 AM

One of the craziest conversations I have ever over heard was a discussion on what type of corn was best and why. They where into it.

Different strokes for different folks
Old 02-12-2007, 11:54 PM

Nothing can beat a big glob of nightcrawlers....nothing!