Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 01-25-2007, 12:19 AM

Default Overlining a 7wt

Just bought a Orvis Tritan TLS, (used school rod from Game Fair here in nashville) its a tip flex 7wt. I have the same rod in a 5wt that I use on the tail waters around here. Going to use this rod for White bass, hybred, largemouth and smallmouth. Fishing the spring spanwing runs, then fishing the jumps on the lakes during the summer.
I have read a lot about over lining. I was think about trying one of the 1/2 sizes. I have never tried this, what do you all recomend? I actualy cast this rod when I put Gaintfish in a Class with Jay last year. Its very fast, which I like with my 5wt. But does overlining slow it down and make a litte more user friendly? Does it make it easier to throw the large streamers?
Old 01-25-2007, 08:58 AM

Default Re: Overlining a 7wt

Overlining will slow the rod down & should help turn over some larger flies.
I use a Wulff TT on my tip flex 7 weight, vary the length of leader to the size of fly i'm using, a 9' leader dosen't turn over a bushy or heavy #4 fly like a shorter leader will, at least it won't with my casting(insert laughter) skills.

Grumpy
Old 01-29-2007, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Overlining a 7wt

Try a Rio "Clouser" line on it! They are 1/2 to 3/4 line size bigger than stated on the box. If you look at the charts AFTMA line weight of the 1st 30' of line in grains you'll see what I mean. This coming from the Rio website line specs. This line should help turn over those clousers and big hairbugs/poppers for Bass. It should help load your rod! If you go that one line size bigger it might overload it and give you some tailing loop problems when you try to double haul a bunch of line.

AA
2Timothy2:15